perl, v5.8.7 Windows 2003 PPM 3.3

Pekka Siiskonen

I have installed perl 5.8.7 build 815 (MSI) from activestate to a fresh
Win2003 server [Version 5.2.3790] to create an up-to-date enviroment (have
used perl v5.6.1 build 635 on Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]) with no
problems so far.

Tried to start loading neccesary modules with ppm (3.3) but will not get
anywhere:

ppm> install dbi
PPM::pPD::init: not a PPD and not a file:

c:\

on page:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePerl/5.8/faq/ActivePerl-faq2.html

it says:
PPM (ppm) is installed when you install ActivePerl. On Windows systems
there are certain prerequisites for using PPM:

a.. To use CPAN, install Microsoft's nmake, which is available from:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q132084
b.. You also need a C compiler and environment installed, ideally Visual
C/C++ 6.0.

So, I got the Nmake15 and installed it (to \perl\bin\) but still am getting
nowhere. Should I really purchase C/C++ to get the "free" Perl install
modules? I must be missing something trivial -- what?

The MSVCR70.DLL is copied to \windows\system32\ -directory -- if that is
needed...

Any suggestions?

pekka

Sisyphus

Pekka Siiskonen said:
I have installed perl 5.8.7 build 815 (MSI) from activestate to a fresh
Win2003 server [Version 5.2.3790] to create an up-to-date enviroment (have
used perl v5.6.1 build 635 on Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]) with no
problems so far.

Tried to start loading neccesary modules with ppm (3.3) but will not get
anywhere:

ppm> install dbi
PPM::pPD::init: not a PPD and not a file:

Yeah - I get the same, even though I'm pretty sure that I've been able to
'install DBI' in the past. It seems to be something that afflicts only the
DBI module. I find I can install other ActiveState ppm's. (I've just posted
to an ActiveState mailing list about this particular problem. If I get an
answer, I'll post a follow-up ... unless, in the meantime, someone here can
provide an explanation ... which is a distinct possibility.)

If version 1.48 will do you should be able to:

install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/DBI.ppd
c:\

on page:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePerl/5.8/faq/ActivePerl-faq2.html

it says:
PPM (ppm) is installed when you install ActivePerl. On Windows systems
there are certain prerequisites for using PPM:

a.. To use CPAN, install Microsoft's nmake, which is available from:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q132084
b.. You also need a C compiler and environment installed, ideally Visual
C/C++ 6.0.

So, I got the Nmake15 and installed it (to \perl\bin\) but still am getting
nowhere. Should I really purchase C/C++ to get the "free" Perl install
modules? I must be missing something trivial -- what?

The use of 'CPAN.pm', 'nmake' and VC++ is being cited as an *alternative* to
ppm. You can go that way if you think it's worth the money. Personally, I
don't think it is worth the money. A better alternative is (imho) to install
dmake and the MinGW compiler - both of which are freely available, and both
of which work seamlessly with the latest build (815) of ActiveState perl. If
you want to use dmake and MinGW with earlier ActiveState builds then you
should also install ExtUtils::FakeConfig.

'dmake' is available from http://search.cpan.org/dist/dmake/ .
'MinGW' is available from http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml .

However, unless you have a particular interest in building modules yourself,
you'll probably find it simpler and more serviceable to use the ppm utility.
(It's just unfortunate that you found a "problem ppm" so early on :)

The MSVCR70.DLL is copied to \windows\system32\ -directory -- if that is
needed...

With ppm's, VC++6.0, and MinGW it won't be needed. (It's only needed if you
use VC++7.0.)

Cheers,
Rob

Matt Garrish

Sisyphus said:
The use of 'CPAN.pm', 'nmake' and VC++ is being cited as an *alternative*
ppm. You can go that way if you think it's worth the money. Personally, I
don't think it is worth the money. A better alternative is (imho) to
install
dmake and the MinGW compiler - both of which are freely available, and
both
of which work seamlessly with the latest build (815) of ActiveState perl.
If
you want to use dmake and MinGW with earlier ActiveState builds then you
should also install ExtUtils::FakeConfig.

This question about the ppm documentation seems to pop up every so often
here, so I logged a bug report to AS to hopefully get them to change the
section.

Matt

Sisyphus

Sisyphus said:
I've just posted
to an ActiveState mailing list about this particular problem. If I get an
answer, I'll post a follow-up

They're saying that it's a load-related server problem and that they're
trying to fix it.

Cheers,
Rob

Matt Garrish

Matt Garrish said:
This question about the ppm documentation seems to pop up every so often
here, so I logged a bug report to AS to hopefully get them to change the
section.

Just to follow up, the reponse I got is that the faq will now read "PPM
(ppm) is installed automatically with ActivePerl.", and they're going to put
the CPAN shell stuff somewhere else, so hopefully no more confusion.

Matt

Pekka Siiskonen

Matt Garrish said:
Just to follow up, the reponse I got is that the faq will now read "PPM
(ppm) is installed automatically with ActivePerl.", and they're going to put
the CPAN shell stuff somewhere else, so hopefully no more confusion.

So, the ActivePerl distribution was in purpose made such that it does not
install a ready-to-run PPM nor warn that it hasn't done so, or ask if I
would really like to have it, as I had opted to install the whole lot of PPM
into hard disk?

There must have been a good reason for quitting distribution of ready-to-run
PPM from AvctiveState, but I fail to see it. What might that good reason be?

pekka

Matt Garrish

Pekka Siiskonen said:
So, the ActivePerl distribution was in purpose made such that it does not
install a ready-to-run PPM nor warn that it hasn't done so, or ask if I
would really like to have it, as I had opted to install the whole lot of
PPM
into hard disk?

There must have been a good reason for quitting distribution of
ready-to-run
PPM from AvctiveState, but I fail to see it. What might that good reason
be?

I think you've misunderstood. PPM comes with ActivePerl and *does not*
require anything else to run. When you install ActivePerl, you have a
working version of PPM. The documentation, however, made it read like you
needed nmake and a C compiler, which is only true when using the CPAN shell
and has nothing to do with PPM (i.e., running the command "perl -MCPAN -e
shell").

In case you don't know, the CPAN shell is the traditional way to download
and install modules from CPAN. It has nothing to do with PPM, and never
should have been mixed up in the install section of the PPM manual.

Matt

Pekka Siiskonen

I think you've misunderstood. PPM comes with ActivePerl and *does not*
require anything else to run. When you install ActivePerl, you have a
working version of PPM. The documentation, however, made it read like you
needed nmake and a C compiler, which is only true when using the CPAN shell
and has nothing to do with PPM (i.e., running the command "perl -MCPAN -e
shell").

so ... What did I do wrong or what went wrong as I could find the DBI module
(search dbi) but could not install it? Absolutely not a true perl pro but am
willing to learn!

pekka

John Bokma

Pekka Siiskonen said:
So, I got the Nmake15 and installed it (to \perl\bin\) but still am
getting nowhere. Should I really purchase C/C++ to get the "free" Perl
install modules?

If you need C/C++ (which you don't in this case), you can download free
versions from Microsoft (yes).

John Bokma

Sisyphus said:
The use of 'CPAN.pm', 'nmake' and VC++ is being cited as an
*alternative* to ppm. You can go that way if you think it's worth the
money.

It's free, so uhm...
A better
alternative is (imho) to install dmake and the MinGW compiler - both
of which are freely available,

as is nmake, and Microsoft's C/C++ compiler...

John Bokma

Pekka Siiskonen said:
so ... What did I do wrong or what went wrong as I could find the DBI
module (search dbi) but could not install it? Absolutely not a true
perl pro but am willing to learn!

The repository of ActiveState has hickups now and then.

C:\Documents and Settings\John>ppm install DBI
Install 'DBI' version 1.49 in ActivePerl 5.8.7.815.
:
:
:
Successfully installed DBI version 1.49 in ActivePerl 5.8.7.815.

Matt Garrish