Perl work?

John Bokma

I am looking for freelance Perl work. I already found jobs.perl.org. But
I am wondering if there are more sites that list freelance perl projects.

I did some Google searches, but only found bidding sites where people
want a $5 / hour Perl programmer, and people offer to do it $ 2 / hour :-(

Any pointers to good sites are welcome.

Randal L. Schwartz

John> I am looking for freelance Perl work. I already found
John> jobs.perl.org. But I am wondering if there are more sites that list
John> freelance perl projects.

Any time I see something listed anywhere else, I tell them to post it
to jobs.perl.org - we really want that to be a nexxus of activity.

The highest quality jobs are found there.

print "Just another Perl hacker,"; # the first

John Bokma

Randal said:
John> I am looking for freelance Perl work. I already found
John> jobs.perl.org. But I am wondering if there are more sites that list
John> freelance perl projects.

Any time I see something listed anywhere else, I tell them to post it
to jobs.perl.org - we really want that to be a nexxus of activity.

I agree. The site looks nice, and I heard that they want to add
programmers to it too.
The highest quality jobs are found there.

That was my impression too. The so called bidding sites I have seen are
a waste of time.

krakle

John Bokma said:
I am looking for freelance Perl work. I already found jobs.perl.org. But
I am wondering if there are more sites that list freelance perl projects.

I did some Google searches, but only found bidding sites where people
want a $5 / hour Perl programmer, and people offer to do it $ 2 / hour :-(

They are called bottom feeders. Usually teenage twips looking to make
a few bucks. Noone in their right mind should offer (or accept) a job
dealing with programming that pays $2-$5/hour. But if you pay burger
king money you get burger king work.

Charlton Wilbur

troll> They are called bottom feeders. Usually teenage twips
troll> looking to make a few bucks. Noone in their right mind
troll> should offer (or accept) a job dealing with programming
troll> that pays $2-$5/hour. But if you pay burger king money you
troll> get burger king work.

They're also people in foreign countries where $2/hour is a very good
wage. Someone who lives in a region where $2000/year is a comfortable
income is probably doing quite well to be making $3 or $4 an hour.

Charlton

John Bokma

Charlton said:

troll> They are called bottom feeders. Usually teenage twips
troll> looking to make a few bucks. Noone in their right mind
troll> should offer (or accept) a job dealing with programming
troll> that pays $2-$5/hour. But if you pay burger king money you
troll> get burger king work.

They're also people in foreign countries where $2/hour is a very good
wage. Someone who lives in a region where $2000/year is a comfortable
income is probably doing quite well to be making $3 or $4 an hour.

Yes, it's a mix of both, as far as I can tell.

krakle

Charlton Wilbur said:
They're also people in foreign countries where $2/hour is a very good
wage. Someone who lives in a region where $2000/year is a comfortable
income is probably doing quite well to be making $3 or $4 an hour.

ermmm.. I would have to disagree. I don't think someone who makes
$2,000 a year able to live off from $3 an hour even has a computer
with internet access and a programming education background to do the
work. I would of thought common sense would of ruled that out...

Eric Bohlman

(e-mail address removed) (krakle) wrote in
ermmm.. I would have to disagree. I don't think someone who makes
$2,000 a year able to live off from $3 an hour even has a computer
with internet access and a programming education background to do the
work. I would of thought common sense would of ruled that out...

You're being ethnocentric (the term has two related but not identical
meanings: the belief that one's own culture is superior, and the assumption
that the way things work in one's own culture is the way things work all
over the world; I'm using the term in the second sense). You're assuming
that anyone making $2000 a year anywhere in the world has the
characteristics that you'd associate with someone making $2000 a year in
the developed West. As Charlton pointed out, that simply isn't true; in
many parts of the world, $2000 buys a *great* deal more than it does in the
US.

If you still have trouble understanding this (that the value of a given
amount of money can vary from place to place), then consider how it can
vary from time to time in the same place. Would you consider an American
making $50K/year to be "rich"? I certainly would, if we were talking about
an American who lived 100 years ago. $50K in 1904 bought about what $1M
buys in 2004, and most people would regard a contemporary American making
$1M/year as "rich." And obversely, an American who was making $2000/year
in 1904 could be expected to have a similar background to an American
making $40K/year in 2004.

Mothra

krakle said:
ermmm.. I would have to disagree. I don't think someone who makes
$2,000 a year able to live off from $3 an hour even has a computer
with internet access and a programming education background to do the
work. I would of thought common sense would of ruled that out...

Whatever you might think, it happens. That's why so many IT jobs in the
UK are being outsourced to the far East. Not sure if this is true in
the USA as well?

krakle

You guys are trying to say some foreigner who makes $2,000 a year
($38.50 a week) has a computer with internet access with a programming
education is taking away our jobs... haha no offense but if you THINK
so you are a complete moron.

krakle

Eric Bohlman said:
And obversely, an American who was making $2000/year
in 1904 could be expected to have a similar background to an American
making $40K/year in 2004.

Oh yea indeed but you are leaving out one thing.... THIS is 2004 NOT
1904. NO there isn't people making $2,000 a year today who can afford
a morgage, living expenses, computer and the education to get the
programming knowledge taking away your job hah...

Eric Bohlman

(e-mail address removed) (krakle) wrote in
Oh yea indeed but you are leaving out one thing.... THIS is 2004 NOT
1904. NO there isn't people making $2,000 a year today who can afford
a morgage, living expenses, computer and the education to get the
programming knowledge taking away your job hah...

s/people/people living within the borders of the USA/;

krakle

Eric Bohlman said:
(e-mail address removed) (krakle) wrote in

s/people/people living within the borders of the USA/;

print "You can't afford to live in the US making $2,000 a year unless
you're a child - no matter what you border.\n";

Eric Schwartz

You guys are trying to say some foreigner who makes $2,000 a year
($38.50 a week) has a computer with internet access with a programming
education is taking away our jobs... haha no offense but if you THINK
so you are a complete moron.

I'm sure there is some alternate parallel universe where you think
you're right, but in fact, in the real world, there are people in
Africa who moonlight on their school's or employer's computers during
off-hours, doing exactly this kind of work.

See http://www.bridges.org/africasource/ for more info, including
direct testimony from people who are in exactly that situation, or
worse. They're not exactly "taking away our jobs", but they are
taking jobs that pay less than peanuts to most of us in the First
World because it's the best they can do.

-=Eric

krakle

Eric Schwartz said:
taking jobs that pay less than peanuts to most of us in the First
World because it's the best they can do.

hmm.. Must be nice to live in one of these backward countries... Live
in tents, 'drive' camels, eat rice oh and work as a Perl programmer on
your personal computer with high speed access from the comfort of your
cozy cave...

Charlton Wilbur

moron> Oh yea indeed but you are leaving out one thing.... THIS is
moron> 2004 NOT 1904. NO there isn't people making $2,000 a year
moron> today who can afford a morgage, living expenses, computer
moron> and the education to get the programming knowledge taking
moron> away your job hah...

There aren't such people *within the borders of the United States,* no.

But there are places in the world -- indeed, the vast majority of the
people in the world live in such places -- where $5000 a year is quite
a respectable income. And the existence of the global Internet means
that such people, who are thrilled to work for $8 an hour, can sell
their services to American corporations, who are likewise thrilled to
pay someone in China or Africa or India $8 an hour to do something
they'd have to pay someone local $40 an hour to do.

Charlton

Peter Hickman

krakle said:
hmm.. Must be nice to live in one of these backward countries... Live
in tents, 'drive' camels, eat rice oh and work as a Perl programmer on
your personal computer with high speed access from the comfort of your
cozy cave...

Your ignorance and racism are unbounded, just a few facts to set you straight:

1) A tent is not a cave. 'Live in tents' and 'your cozy cave'
2) Rice is not grown where camels live
3) Not all Internet access is high speed

Sounds like you come from a backward country yourself given your level of education.

chris-usenet

krakle said:
hmm.. Must be nice to live in one of these backward countries... Live
in tents, 'drive' camels, eat rice oh and work as a Perl programmer on
your personal computer with high speed access from the comfort of your
cozy cave...

Oh now, I really can't sit back and just watch this any longer. A
number of years ago, I lived in Guyana for six months. A good teacher's
(admittedly lousy) wage was GYD $30,000 a month. IIRC in strict
monetary terms this then equated to about GBP 100. However, in Guyana
it was just about enough to live on. At one point I did some extra
programming/consultancy for a company out there and charged "a small
fortune" in local terms, which worked out at approximately USD $1000. I
had internet access (yes, even back in 1997).

There is a strangeness living in one of these developing countries that
cannot easily be understood unless you have experience it. You live in
(relatively) poor surroundings and yet have access to some of the most
advanced technologies available to the developed world. Yes it's a bit
of an oxymoron but that really is how it is.

Chris

krakle

Peter Hickman said:
Your ignorance and racism are unbounded, just a few facts to set you straight:

Do you know what sarcasm is?
1) A tent is not a cave. 'Live in tents' and 'your cozy cave'
2) Rice is not grown where camels live
3) Not all Internet access is high speed

Well then, you surely set me straight since I was speaking factual.....
Sounds like you come from a backward country yourself given your level of education.

Yep. US.

Peter Hickman

krakle said:
Do you know what sarcasm is?

Yes. I also know what bigotry is.

Making a racist slur and then trying to pass it off as some form of humor will not get you off the hook. Maybe you are a sensible person who just happens to spout bullshit but I am
not giving you the benefit of the doubt. There are too many assholes out there for me to bother getting to know the 'real you'.