Playing background music.

AllYou!

I'm lost. I want to play a sound clip in the background of my
website. I've tried <embed> and it works just great on older versions
of IE, but on the newest version, I keep getting warning dialogs about
activeX controls every time I turn it on or off, and in one case, IE
simply decided that the activeX control (which as far as I know is
only the <embed> tag) was too dangerous to use.

So now I'm looking into [bgsound], but I've read where that might not
be supported by MS much longer, and strong recommendations not to use
it.

Anyone have any useful advice?

Travis Newbury

I'm lost. I want to play a sound clip in the background of my
website....
Anyone have any useful advice?

Let me be the first to say to you, "Don't do that"

Almost no one wants your sound clip to play when we get to your site.
Now, once I have gotten there feel free to offer me the ability to
play your sound clip if I want to. But please don't make that choice
for me. I may be listening to MY music while I am browsing. If so,
then the only way I am going to turn off your sound clip and go back
to my music is to leave your page.

And I am pretty sure that is not what you are trying to accomplish
here right?

AllYou!

Travis Newbury said:
Let me be the first to say to you, "Don't do that"

Almost no one wants your sound clip to play when we get to your
site.
Now, once I have gotten there feel free to offer me the ability to
play your sound clip if I want to. But please don't make that
choice
for me. I may be listening to MY music while I am browsing. If so,
then the only way I am going to turn off your sound clip and go back
to my music is to leave your page.

Well, I left that part out for brevity, but that's exactly what I've
done, and it'd work fine if it wasn't for Uncle Bill. IOW, there'a a
perticular part of my site where a sound clip would be particularly
meaningful, and so I've given the reader the option of turning it on
or off, but every time the reader would do this, he either triggers
that silly dialog box in IE, or with another way I configured things,
IE doesn't even allow the control to work at all!

But yes, I did put an icon on the page which is supposed to give the
reader the option.

Bernhard Sturm

AllYou! said:
So now I'm looking into [bgsound], but I've read where that might not
be supported by MS much longer, and strong recommendations not to use
it.

Anyone have any useful advice?
I second the statement of Travis: don't play music automatically on your
site. It's a BIG no no. Just imagine the following situation: a big
office with cubicles. Someone opens your website and all co-workers are
forced to listen to your 'favourite' music. Guess how long will the site
be opened? A bet a fraction of a second.
I will listen to music whenever I decide to do it. Not you.

cheers
bernhard

AllYou!

Bernhard Sturm said:
AllYou! said:
So now I'm looking into [bgsound], but I've read where that might
not be supported by MS much longer, and strong recommendations not
to use it.

Anyone have any useful advice?
I second the statement of Travis: don't play music automatically on
your site. It's a BIG no no. Just imagine the following situation: a
big office with cubicles. Someone opens your website and all
co-workers are forced to listen to your 'favourite' music. Guess how
long will the site be opened? A bet a fraction of a second.
I will listen to music whenever I decide to do it. Not you.

I already responded to that concern.

Well, I left that part out for brevity, but that's exactly what I've
done, and it'd work fine if it wasn't for Uncle Bill. IOW, there's a
particular part of my site where a sound clip would be particularly
meaningful, and so I've given the reader the option of turning it on
or off, but every time the reader would do this, he either triggers
that silly dialog box in IE, or with another way I configured things,
IE doesn't even allow the control to work at all!

But yes, I did put an icon on the page which is supposed to give the
reader the option.

fuli open

AllYou! said:
So now I'm looking into [bgsound], but I've read where that might not
be supported by MS much longer, and strong recommendations not to use
it.
Anyone have any useful advice?

I second the statement of Travis: don't play music automatically on your
site. It's a BIG no no. Just imagine the following situation: a big
office with cubicles. Someone opens your website and all co-workers are
forced to listen to your 'favourite' music. Guess how long will the site
be opened? A bet a fraction of a second.
I will listen to music whenever I decide to do it. Not you.

cheers
bernhard

--www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

I have several pages in my web site in which music is played
automatically. Following is such a page:

www.pinyinology.com

And the code for the automatic music is the following:

<embed src="http://www.ibiblio.org/chinese-music/MP3/
TD11.Colorful_Clouds_Chasing_Moon.mp3" loop='true' hidden='true'
autostart='true' />

Now I like to follow you guys' advice on giving visitors the option of
starting playing music by clicking a button and stopping it at any
time by clicking another button, that is, the music is not
automatically played when the page is opened. Tho code for it may be
a very complicated one. Could anyone tell me where to start in order
to learn the coding?

Thanks in advance.
fuli open

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

fuli said:
I have several pages in my web site in which music is played
automatically. Following is such a page:

www.pinyinology.com

No music played for me. Firefox and Opera.

First I accessed the page with JavaScript off, and all I noticed was
that some links jumped around as the mouse passed over them.

Then I turned JavaScript on, and all sorts of blink-n-flash began, but
still no music. The blink stuff is a total turn-off. Marquee text is
annoying!

BTW, the link of: Critique of guo² yu³ luo² ma³ ziâ´(GR)
sits there and flashes from blue to red and back, without stopping.
Really bad, actually.

When JavaScript is off, half your page is missing. The change from
normal to italic text on hover should be removed.

Jonathan N. Little

fuli said:
AllYou! said:
[...]

Well Thank God it doesn't work in my SeaMonkey, but I can make the page
to a rumba by moving my mouse over your menu!

CSS error
#1 sup {font-size:70%; vertical-align:text-top;}
^^ Invalid for ID's to begin with a number...

Neredbojias

AllYou! said:
[...]

If you want it to perform multi-browser, why not use a simple link and
an .m3u file? (If you're unfamiliar with .m3u, do a search on it.)

fuli open

AllYou! wrote:
[...]

My sincere thanks to all of you for your comments and advice.

fuli