Adding music to web page

TreatmentPlant

A friend is in a band and wants to add some of their music to their
website. What is the best way to add music/sound to a web page? I know
there are cross browser problems with EMBED and BGSOUND etc. so what's
the best way to achieve this aim / tool to use?

He would prefer a small on screen 'player' that could be used to start
playing a selected track, stop playing, volume control, fast forward etc
but I do not know of any such devices other than at sites like mySpace
which have MP3 players, but he doesn't want to use a mySpace or any of
their tools.

flix

embed works fine in all browsers. it uses your default player.

try this:

<embed src="music/song1.mp3" autostart="false" loop="false" width="200"
height="28" controller="true" bgcolor="#FF9900"></embed>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <span style="font-size:smaller">or click <a
href="music/song1.mp3">here</a>.</span>

the 2nd "click" option will usually open the file in the main player
interface like Win MP. the first <embed> will stay as a little audio slider
with start/stop options.

TreatmentPlant

Leif said:
No, it doesn't.

I don't have one (for my browser).

As much as I thank flix for the response, and your post too... I am
still no closer to the solution?

Andy Dingley

What is the best way to add music/sound to a web page?

The fashion these days (especially for video) is to use a
sophisticated piece of Flash to act as a wrapper around it (YouTube,
MySpace et al). This is the "best".

The most pragmatic, simple and effective way is to use <embed> This
is especially the case for video.

If you do force music onto a page (quite reasonable for a band site),
then add an "Off" button too.

Blinky the Shark

TreatmentPlant said:
As much as I thank flix for the response, and your post too... I am
still no closer to the solution?

I don't know. Are you or aren't you?

flix

Leif K-Brooks said:
I don't have one (for my browser).

which browser does not support <embed> tag?

Lucky Leif, I feel sad that you do not have a default player.
They're simple and cheap.

Treatment Plant (god I like your moniker!) --> if you want to avoid all that
flash-dance gobble-gookery, use my 2nd advice which is a simple target-blank
link to the mp3 itself. Media player will open (for most people .. except
deprived folks like Leif! :) and voila, there are your fast forward and
game-boy commands. Gratis. complements of our chef, william gates.

could life be simpler?

Travis Newbury

A friend is in a band and wants to add some of their music to their
website....

Flash gives them the most flexibility, and virtually everyone can use
it (though a few may choose not to). As the bands interest for "wow"
increases, Flash lets them do some pretty fun things as a "player" on
their site.

And you don' t have to use "embed"

Travis Newbury

could life be simpler?

Speaking from 3 years building Flash video and music players for
internationally knows band sites, bands don't was "simpler" They, and
their visitors, prefer the fancy stuff.

jeffery

TreatmentPlant said:
A friend is in a band and wants to add some of their music to their
website. What is the best way to add music/sound to a web page? I know
there are cross browser problems with EMBED and BGSOUND etc. so what's the
best way to achieve this aim / tool to use?

He would prefer a small on screen 'player' that could be used to start
playing a selected track, stop playing, volume control, fast forward etc
but I do not know of any such devices other than at sites like mySpace
which have MP3 players, but he doesn't want to use a mySpace or any of
their tools.

Mp3 is a compressed audio format hence it is easy to upload but if you have
the audio files in other formats convert it to Mp3 using FlexiMusic Wave
Editor, a music editor. Now edit the web page and insert the following HTML
code where you want the song to be loaded.

<embed src="songname.mp3" controls=all autostart="true" loop="true"
width="300" height="120">

http://www.fleximusic.com/