pls help regarding instruction

Discussion in 'Java' started by jayipee, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. jayipee

    jayipee Guest

    I have installed the latest version of knoppix. it's a debian based
    distro. now I want to run tomcat on my server to run servlet.

    I have already installed tomcat4 but in the instructions given from
    this site: http://cymulacrum.net/writings/tomcat4/c260.html I don't
    know what it means under this line: 4.2.2. Adding a Context inside
    server.xml. I look for server.xml and I can see it under /etc/tomcat4/
    and also in /var/lib/tomcat4/conf/server.xml which makes me confuse
    which one to edit or if this is the right file to edit. When looking
    through the file I don't know also what to put there. The instruction
    to put to that file is this:

    <!-- MyFirst Context -->

    <Context path="/MyFirst" docBase="MyFirst" debug="0" reloadable="true"
    />

    And also the web.xml under this line 4.2.3. Creating a web.xml file for
    the web application.

    I can put my server.xml and web.xml here if you like.

    Thanks in advance.

    jayipee, Feb 22, 2006

  2. jayipee

    SMC Guest

    You'll probably find that /var/lib/tomcat4/conf is a symlink to
    /etc/tomcat4, so whichever you edit, it's the same file.
    Add the above line inside the <Host> tags in the server.xml

    You'll probably have an entry similar to:

    <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true">

    so just put your Context after that. There may already be an example one
    in there, so you could add it before that one.
    This is a file you need to create. Just create the file and drop in the
    content they provide. This file will go in

    $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/MyFirst/WEB-INF/

    SMC, Feb 22, 2006

  3. jayipee

    jayipee Guest

    Thank you very much for the reply. I can't find this line under host:

    <!-- Tomcat Root Context -->
    <!--
    <Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0">
    -->

    So I added it together with:

    <!-- MyFirst Context -->

    <Context path="/MyFirst" docBase="MyFirst" debug="0" reloadable="true"
    />

    The instruction also said that I have to access that on port 8080 but
    after running startup.sh can running netstat I can't find port 8080
    opened.

    And also what is the right path of JAVA_HOME ? because when I run
    startup.sh it says:

    The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined
    This environment variable is needed to run this program

    I don't know if this is the right command to enter in the terminal:

    export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/kaffe/

    Thanks again.

    jayipee, Feb 22, 2006
  4. jayipee

    SMC Guest

    Look for the <Connector> tags in your server.xml. Make sure there is one
    and it's uncommented. It should be something like

    debug="0" connectionTimeout="10000"
    useURIValidationHack="false"/>

    Check the port attribute value.
    You should probably add this to your shell profile (e.g. .bash_profile).

    SMC, Feb 23, 2006