Possible problem in compiler/transformer.py of Python2.4...

venkatbo

Hi all,

I have python2.4 running on ppc-linux 2.6.17. I'm attempting to get
a TurboGears 0.9a9 (using CherryPy 2.2.1) based app running on
it.

During the TG-app startup sequence, it reaches the point where it
imports cherrypy, which eventually causes py2.4's system file,
compiler/transformer.py, to import a module by name, symbol.
Unable to find it, python quits...

Following are the error msgs:
File "start-tg-app.py", line 24, in ?
import cherrypy
File
"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/CherryPy-2.2.1-py2.4.egg/cherrypy/__init__.py",
line 10, in ?
import config
File
"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/CherryPy-2.2.1-py2.4.egg/cherrypy/config.py",
line 8, in ?
from cherrypy.lib import autoreload, cptools, httptools
File
"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/CherryPy-2.2.1-py2.4.egg/cherrypy/lib/cptools.py",
line 252, in ?
import compiler
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/compiler/__init__.py", line 24, in ?
from transformer import parse, parseFile
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/compiler/transformer.py", line 30, in ?
import symbol
ImportError: No module named symbol

What is surprising is I checkd the entire py2.4 distribution and I
can't see a symbol.py (or a module with symbol defined) where
transformer.py could import the symbol module form. All I can see
is:
...../lib/python2.4/compiler/symbols.py
in the same directory as that of transformer.py (in compiler).

Has anyone seen this error, or have any pointers to solve the problem.

Thanks,
/venkat

Fredrik Lundh

What is surprising is I checkd the entire py2.4 distribution and I
can't see a symbol.py (or a module with symbol defined) where
transformer.py could import the symbol module form. All I can see
is:
...../lib/python2.4/compiler/symbols.py
in the same directory as that of transformer.py (in compiler).

Has anyone seen this error, or have any pointers to solve the problem.

looks like your installation is botched.
> dir \python24\lib\compiler\symbols.py

$ cd /usr/local/lib/python2.4/compiler
$ ls -l symbols.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14591 Aug 11 2005 symbols.py

(the former is 2.4.3 on windows, the latter 2.4.1 on unix)

</F>

Duncan Booth

Fredrik said:
looks like your installation is botched.

$ cd /usr/local/lib/python2.4/compiler
$ ls -l symbols.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14591 Aug 11 2005 symbols.py

(the former is 2.4.3 on windows, the latter 2.4.1 on unix)

What has listing symbols.py got to do with this? He said he has symbols.py.
What is missing is symbol.py which should be in the main lib folder, not
the compiler package. e.g.

Directory of C:\Python24\Lib

02/09/2004 11:54 2,043 symbol.py
1 File(s) 2,043 bytes

But yes, the conclusion is that his installation is botched.