PPM vs CPAN

cartercc

I had a weird experience today. Using ActiveState Perl on a WinXP box,
I attempted to install a module from CPAN using the PPM shell. System
hung for about 15 minutes before I got the prompt back. A second
attempt had the same results. Finally, using CPAN to install the same
module successfully completed the task in a matter of seconds. I don't
recall whether it was on the order of 10 seconds or 100 seconds, but
the job was finished when I had poured myself a cup of coffee.

I've always had better results with PPM on this particular machine
than with CPAN, and I'm just wondering what the difference could be.

CC