Precise and concise summary of new syntax in C++11 wanted.

Alan Mackenzie

Hello, All.

I'm looking for what the subject says. The sort of question I want it to
answer accurately is "in what ways can the keyword auto be used?".

I'd like it to be readable (hence ruling out the C++11 standard) and
concise (thus ruling out 800 page "introductions" by Stroustrup).

A link to a website would be fine. A slim book (something like Kyle
Loudon's "C++ Pocket Reference" (pub. O'Reilly)) would also be fine.

As I say, it is primarily the syntax which I'm interested in.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Dombo

Op 20-Mar-12 19:18, Alan Mackenzie schreef:
Hello, All.

I'm looking for what the subject says. The sort of question I want it to
answer accurately is "in what ways can the keyword auto be used?".

I'd like it to be readable (hence ruling out the C++11 standard) and
concise (thus ruling out 800 page "introductions" by Stroustrup).

A link to a website would be fine. A slim book (something like Kyle
Loudon's "C++ Pocket Reference" (pub. O'Reilly)) would also be fine.

As I say, it is primarily the syntax which I'm interested in.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Probably not as precise as you want, but it does give concise overview
of the new features in C++11: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C++11

I doubt a precise description of C++11 which covers all corner cases,
can be concise.

Juha Nieminen

Alan Mackenzie said:
I'm looking for what the subject says. The sort of question I want it to
answer accurately is "in what ways can the keyword auto be used?".

The wikipedia article on C++11 might not be concise overall because the additions
in the new standard are extensive, but the explanation of each individual feature is
quite concise, and it's great introduction to the new features.

Stefan Ram

Alan Mackenzie said:
As I say, it is primarily the syntax which I'm interested in.

(The body of a post should not require that the readers reads
the subject.)

A precise and concise syntax summary can be found in

Alan Mackenzie

Alan Mackenzie said:
Hello, All.
I'm looking for what the subject says. The sort of question I want it to
answer accurately is "in what ways can the keyword auto be used?".
I'd like it to be readable (hence ruling out the C++11 standard) and
concise (thus ruling out 800 page "introductions" by Stroustrup).
A link to a website would be fine. A slim book (something like Kyle
Loudon's "C++ Pocket Reference" (pub. O'Reilly)) would also be fine.
As I say, it is primarily the syntax which I'm interested in.

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions. It looks like Wikepedia for now.
That really isn't a bad article, if not utterly precise. The C++11
standard is too expensive for me (middle hundreds of Swiss Francs).

I should have said why I want the info. I'm updating Emacs's C++ Mode to
handle the new features in C++11.

Nobody

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions. It looks like Wikepedia for now.
That really isn't a bad article, if not utterly precise. The C++11
standard is too expensive for me (middle hundreds of Swiss Francs).

I should have said why I want the info. I'm updating Emacs's C++ Mode to
handle the new features in C++11.

In which case, a recent draft should be adequate. The Wikipedia article
has a link.

Jorgen Grahn

.
I should have said why I want the info. I'm updating Emacs's C++ Mode to
handle the new features in C++11.

Good, and thanks! I'm not the only one who uses it extensively.

One approach which maybe requires less deep understanding is to copy
the example code from Stroustrup's page and from Wikipedia into Emacs
and see if they look ok, if the indentation agrees with one of the
Emacs styles, and so on.

/Jorgen

Lynn McGuire

Hello, All.

I'm looking for what the subject says. The sort of question I want it to
answer accurately is "in what ways can the keyword auto be used?".

I'd like it to be readable (hence ruling out the C++11 standard) and
concise (thus ruling out 800 page "introductions" by Stroustrup).

A link to a website would be fine. A slim book (something like Kyle
Loudon's "C++ Pocket Reference" (pub. O'Reilly)) would also be fine.

As I say, it is primarily the syntax which I'm interested in.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Here is a table of the new C++ 11 features that
have been implemented in Visual C++:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2011/09/12/10209291.aspx

Auto is addressed here
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n1984.pdf
and here
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2008/n2546.htm

Lynn

Volker Lukas

Hi,

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
[...]
Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions. It looks like Wikepedia for
now.
That really isn't a bad article, if not utterly precise. The C++11
standard is too expensive for me (middle hundreds of Swiss Francs).
You can get a PDF edition of the current C++ standard for 30$ via ANSI.
Search for "14882" at ANSI's webstore. It will list the INCITS/ISO/IEC
edition.

rangsynth

The standard introduces new types like char32_t and char16_t. I have already a library at http://code.coogle.com/p/openrtl that can take full advantage of these types including Unicode collation and full CLDR locale support. The library works now for existing C++ and C compilers for these types and is ready to handle all the string processing, including formatted IO of newcharacter types the new standard has when it becomes ready in compilers.