print 'hello' -> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Discussion in 'Python' started by ValdezDE, Feb 7, 2008.

  1. ValdezDE

    ValdezDE Guest

    I try to install Python in a Dell D620 with XP PRO version 5.1.2600
    and I am getting this error. I assume that some dlls are missing but I
    installed form a fresh python-2.5.1.msi without errors msg.

    Thanks

    Roberto

    Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Apr 18 2007, 08:51:08) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
    (Intel)] on
    win32
    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. File "<stdin>", line 1
    import this
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax File "<stdin>", line 1
    2 + 2
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax File "<stdin>", line 1
    print 'Hello'
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax File "<stdin>", line 1
    help
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax

    ValdezDE, Feb 7, 2008

  2. Sounds like a bad install.
    Try reinstalling, or re-downloading the installer and reinstall. Try both even.

    Jon \Fluffy\ Saul, Feb 7, 2008

  3. ValdezDE

    ajaksu Guest

    What is the install path? And what is your locale?

    What happens if you type "Ctrl + m" instead of Return after your input?

    ajaksu, Feb 7, 2008
  4. ValdezDE

    ValdezDE Guest

    Python is installed in c:\Python25 ans "ctr + m" produce the same
    error msg as Return.

    I did a new install and the problem is still there :-(

    thanks

    Roberto

    ValdezDE, Feb 8, 2008