Printing Frames With Javascript

Lord Vader III

I apologize if this is the wrong group for this but I have looked for
an answer with no luck. I have the following frame setup on a site I
am working on:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6238/frameprint1lr.jpg

I want to add a java print button in frame 3 that will then print
frames 3, 4, and 5 when clicked (preferably as laid out on screen in
landscape mode). Is something like this possible?

Thanks.

Chris Smith

Lord Vader III said:
I apologize if this is the wrong group for this but I have looked for
an answer with no luck.

Unfortunately, this is indeed the wrong group for this. Java and
JavaScript share surprisingly little, except for their names. You
definitely can't use Java to print the content of a web browser.

As for JavaScript, it may be capable of doing what you want. It's
certainly a better bet than Java. I don't know, though. You may want
to ask in comp.lang.javascript for more information on that.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Hemal Pandya

Lord said:
I apologize if this is the wrong group

It is indeed the wrong group.
for this but I have looked for an answer with no luck.

Where did you look? Did you think to ask on the javascript ng?
I have the following frame setup on a site I
am working on:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6238/frameprint1lr.jpg

I want to add a java print button in frame 3 that will then print
frames 3, 4, and 5 when clicked (preferably as laid out on screen in
landscape mode).

What is a java print button? You perhaps mean javascript print button
(don't know if that it the right terminology).
Is something like this possible?

I am sure it is. I have seen many web pages with a Print button. Yahoo
mail print view and gmail come to mind. Also search for print button on
google.

I don't know if setting up landscape mode will be possible. M$ has
Print Templates that are IE specific; these might be able to do this.

You are welcome. But when (if) you return come with a java question.

Andrew Thompson

I apologize if this is the wrong group ..

It is, as both Chris and Hemal mentioned.

Unfortunately, they have referred you to the JS group,
and they will not be able to help you either.

Neither JS nor Java can 'kick off' a print from a web
page, otherwise that would become the next 'web spam'.

Business users would end a day's surfing to find 100s
of pages of 'Special Offers' spewed out onto the laser
printer in the next room.

You will find the best way to get what you want
(or the closest you can come to it) is to add this
special bit of 'script' to the page..

HTH