Printing from ASP.NET

Igor

Can I print to POS printer (printer for billing reports, bus tickets etc.)
from asp.net aplication? I need to print ticket, then patrial cut and full
paper cut. Can I do this from asp.net page and how?

Mark Rae [MVP]

Igor said:
Can I print to POS printer (printer for billing reports, bus tickets etc.)
from asp.net aplication? I need to print ticket, then patrial cut and full
paper cut. Can I do this from asp.net page and how?

Is the printer connected to the client machine or on the network...?

Igor

Mark Rae said:
Is the printer connected to the client machine or on the network...?

It is on client but I can connect these printers to the network. But maybe
asp.net application will be on external web server. Do I need to put it on
internal web server in the company (in the LAN or VPN network)?

Mark Rae [MVP]

It is on client but I can connect these printers to the network. But maybe
asp.net application will be on external web server. Do I need to put it on
internal web server in the company (in the LAN or VPN network)?

The thing to understand here is that ASP.NET cannot natively interact with
the client machine, or any peripherals attached to it...

Therefore, you have several possible solutions:

1) You attach the printer to the network instead - however, not much good if
the printer is not reasonably close to the person doing the printing...

2) You build, sign and deploy an ActiveX control to do the local printing.
This will need very careful management, as you will almost certainly need to
modify your local security settings etc. Trying to deploy this on the public
Internet is a total waste of time - don't even bother...

3) You create separate "print" aspx pages which contain only the information
you want to be printed. You may have seen something similar when e.g. you
have bought an airline ticket and you are given the option to print it -
however, this will be a manual process for the client.

4) You create PDF documents of the printouts - however, these will still
need to be printed manually...

5) You don't even try to make ASP.NET do the printing. Instead, ASP.NET
simply adds print "jobs" to a print "queue", maybe in a database, and you
write a Windows service which will poll this print queue at regular
intervals and do the printing...

J Fine

I have exact same needs -- print to ticket printer from asp.net page. Printer can be seen on the network from the client. It's possible to make it seen by the asp.net server I suppose, but I would rather just send the print job from the client. reason being is that we are already using mead corp print control to suppress print dialog from web page. So that brings me back to somehow sending raw printer commands to the ticket printer???

Harold Demure

Igor said:
Can I print to POS printer (printer for billing reports, bus tickets etc.)
from asp.net aplication? I need to print ticket, then patrial cut and full
paper cut. Can I do this from asp.net page and how?
can't you use client-side javascript to access the Print item from the main
menu of the browser??