Problem building Ruby from sources

Kurt Usen

Hello,

I am having a problem building Ruby from sources (checked out latest
version with Subversion from repository). I tried it for Ubunty 8.04 and
Cygwin. In both cases I got an error while running make:

echo executable host ruby is required. use --with-baseruby option.;
false -Ks ./tool/insns2vm.rb --srcdir="." opt_sc.inc
executable host ruby is required. use --with-baseruby option.
make: *** [opt_sc.inc] Error 1

What does it mean?

Thank you,

Kurt

Eric Hodel

I am having a problem building Ruby from sources (checked out latest
version with Subversion from repository). I tried it for Ubunty 8.04
and
Cygwin. In both cases I got an error while running make:

echo executable host ruby is required. use --with-baseruby option.;
false -Ks ./tool/insns2vm.rb --srcdir="." opt_sc.inc
executable host ruby is required. use --with-baseruby option.
make: *** [opt_sc.inc] Error 1

What does it mean?

You don't have ruby installed, or it is not in your path.

If it is not in your path, use ./configure --with-baseruby (I think).

If it is not installed, try 1.8 before building 1.9.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Kurt said:
Hello,

I am having a problem building Ruby from sources (checked out latest
version with Subversion from repository). I tried it for Ubunty 8.04 and
Cygwin. In both cases I got an error while running make:

echo executable host ruby is required. use --with-baseruby option.;
false -Ks ./tool/insns2vm.rb --srcdir="." opt_sc.inc
executable host ruby is required. use --with-baseruby option.
make: *** [opt_sc.inc] Error 1

What does it mean?

Thank you,

Kurt

Does it now need a running Ruby interpreter to build?

Kurt Usen

Eric said:
You don't have ruby installed, or it is not in your path.

If it is not in your path, use ./configure --with-baseruby (I think).

If it is not installed, try 1.8 before building 1.9.

I tried to install 1.8 (and tested that it is working) before build
(although it seemed to me strange enough not to be able to build Ruby
from scratch) and configure --with-baseruby with approximately the same
result...