Problem deserializing file from asp.net

Guest

Hi,

I am using the XmlSerializer class to deserialize a file, please see
attached code.

This works fine from a windows form, but fails when called from an asp.net
web service. Unfortuantely I can't get a proper error message, the browser
just a "this page cannot be displayed" message.

I have read that the account the service runs under requires write access to
the .net framework temp directory which it has.

Could anyone give me any pointers as to why this could be failing.

Many thanks for any suggestions,

Steve

Dim serializer As New XmlSerializer(GetType(MyClass))
Dim fstFileStream As FileStream
Dim MyObject As MyClass
'Deserialise the file to create the main web site object
serializer = New XmlSerializer(GetType(MyClass))
fstFileStream = New FileStream(Me.SerialiseFileName,
FileMode.Open)
'Ensure the object is updated
'Force the full model to be created
MyObject = CType(serializer.Deserialize(fstFileStream), MyClass)
If Not fstFileStream Is Nothing Then
fstFileStream.Close()
fstFileStream = Nothing
End If

Guest

You can get a better description of the error by:
1) Turning the customErrors to Off in the web.config,
2) Enclosing your code in a try catch, e.g.
Try

Catch ex As Exception
Response.Write(ex.ToString)
End Try

As for the file permissions you need to give the ASPNET account write access
also to the folder pointed to by the SerialiseFileName variable in your code.

HTH

Guest

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the reply.

I determined the username using the getusername function. Which wasn't the
account I expected. I gave the file write permission and it works.

Customerrors is alredy set Off, and I already have an error handler which
should write out an error message, still didn't get this working.

Many thanks,

Steve