Problem installing modules

Thomas Schweikle

Hi!

Trying to install "AppConfig":

C:\HOME\xch4008>perl -MCPAN -e"install AppConfig"
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read C:\HOME\xch4008\.cpan\Metadata
Database was generated on Fri, 21 May 2004 14:37:43 GMT
Running install for module AppConfig
Running make for A/AB/ABW/AppConfig-1.56.tar.gz
CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok
Checksum for
C:\HOME\xch4008\.cpan\sources\authors\id\A\AB\ABW\AppConfig-1.56.tar.gz
ok
Scanning cache C:\HOME\xch4008\.cpan\build for sizes
AppConfig-1.56/
AppConfig-1.56/t/
AppConfig-1.56/t/cgi.t
AppConfig-1.56/t/args.t
AppConfig-1.56/t/appconfig.t
AppConfig-1.56/t/novars.t
AppConfig-1.56/t/block.t
AppConfig-1.56/t/sys.t
AppConfig-1.56/t/getopt.t
AppConfig-1.56/t/flag.t
AppConfig-1.56/t/default.t
AppConfig-1.56/t/compact.t
AppConfig-1.56/t/state.t
AppConfig-1.56/t/multi.t
AppConfig-1.56/t/file.t
AppConfig-1.56/t/const.t
AppConfig-1.56/lib/
AppConfig-1.56/lib/AppConfig/
AppConfig-1.56/lib/AppConfig/File.pm
AppConfig-1.56/lib/AppConfig/CGI.pm
AppConfig-1.56/lib/AppConfig/Args.pm
AppConfig-1.56/lib/AppConfig/Getopt.pm
AppConfig-1.56/lib/AppConfig/State.pm
AppConfig-1.56/lib/AppConfig/Sys.pm
AppConfig-1.56/lib/AppConfig.pm
AppConfig-1.56/Changes
AppConfig-1.56/MANIFEST
AppConfig-1.56/TODO
AppConfig-1.56/README
AppConfig-1.56/Makefile.PL
Removing previously used C:\HOME\xch4008\.cpan\build\AppConfig-1.56

CPAN.pm: Going to build A/AB/ABW/AppConfig-1.56.tar.gz

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for AppConfig
-- OK
Running make test
test -- NOT OK
Running make install
make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

Now two questions:
1. What may be missing?
2. How to force installation?

Matt Garrish

Thomas Schweikle said:
Hi!

Trying to install "AppConfig":

C:\HOME\xch4008>perl -MCPAN -e"install AppConfig"

Since you're a bit thin on details about what you're doing, I'll guess that
you were trying to run the cpan shell and it died, so you're now trying to
install the module it died on? I'll also guess that you aren't using cygwin,
and give you a hint that there is no make on Windows.

If you're using ActivePerl, use ppm to install modules.

Matt

Thomas Schweikle

Matt said:
Since you're a bit thin on details about what you're doing, I'll guess that
you were trying to run the cpan shell and it died, so you're now trying to
install the module it died on? I'll also guess that you aren't using cygwin,
and give you a hint that there is no make on Windows.

If you're using ActivePerl, use ppm to install modules.

Yes, it is ActivePerl. I've tried with ppm. But this leads to:
ppm> install AppConfig
Error: PPD for 'AppConfig.ppd' could not be found.

Hm?!

Thomas Schweikle

J. Gleixner said:

OK! Thanks! This worked. But now I am missing four additional packages:

CGI --- I need v2.93 the repository only has 2.81
Date::Format --- not found
Template --- not found
Chart::Base --- not found

Where can I find them, or, how can I build my own working ppm-module
installable via ActivePerl PPM?

Randy Kobes

Date::Format --- not found
Template --- not found
Chart::Base --- not found

Where can I find them, or, how can I build my own working ppm-module
installable via ActivePerl PPM?

I've made up ppm packages of them, which you can install by adding
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer58
to your repository list within the ppm shell (for ActivePerl 8xx). After
that,
ppm> install CGI.pm
ppm> install TimeDate
ppm> install Template-Toolkit
ppm> install Chart
should install these, as well as their dependencies.

Alternatively, the PPM-Make distribution on CPAN (and also
in the above repository) can make and install (via the ppm utility)
CPAN distributions for which there isn't an available ppm package.
This requires the 'nmake' utility (installing PPM-Make should offer
to fetch it for you, if you don't have it), but for some packages
(eg, GD, which is needed by Chart) you'll also need a C compiler
(VC++ 6, if you're using ActivePerl).

best regards,
randy kobes

Ben Morrow

Quoth "Randy Kobes said:
(eg, GD, which is needed by Chart) you'll also need a C compiler
(VC++ 6, if you're using ActivePerl).

I thought MinGW was compatible? (I know Borland isn't).

Ben

Randy Kobes

Ben Morrow said:
I thought MinGW was compatible? (I know Borland isn't).

I've heard of some successes using MinGW-compiled modules
with ActivePerl, and also some failures. There will be some
configuration changes involved for ActivePerl, which is set up
for VC++ 6, to try it. Probably on any platform it's safest
to stick with the same compiler that was used to build Perl.

best regards,
randy

Randy Kobes

Thomas Schweikle said:
This doesn't work. ppm gives some fatal error. It is killed by the
operating system afterwards. It is not possible to add the repository!

What happens when you try
C:\> ppm
ppm> rep add theoryx5
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer58
ppm> install CGI.pm
ppm> install TimeDate
ppm> install Template-Toolkit
ppm> install Chart
ppm> quit
(the 2nd command line has been broken over 2 lines for readability).

If this doesn't work, can you use the ppm shell to install packages
from ActiveState's (default) repository?

best regards,
randy kobes