Problem installing RMagick

Gregory Seidman

I am trying to install the RMagick gem under MacOS X (10.3 latest). I have
ImageMagick 6.1.8, with development headers, installed via Fink. When I do
a simple gem install it seems to work, but I can't find any dynamic library
for it and neither can Ruby when I try to actually use it. The following is
a transcript of the install. Note that it complains that it can't find
mkmf, but proceeds anyway. Please advise.

# gem install RMagick
Attempting local installation of 'RMagick'
Local gem file not found: RMagick*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'RMagick'
configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
install.rb: entering config phase...
---> lib
---> lib/rvg
<--- lib/rvg
<--- lib
---> ext
---> ext/RMagick
/sw/bin/ruby1.8 /Volumes/Fink/lib/ruby/site_ruby/gems/gems/rmagick-1.10.1/ext/RMagick/extconf.rb
/Volumes/Fink/lib/ruby/site_ruby/gems/gems/rmagick-1.10.1/ext/RMagick/extconf.rb:4:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
from /Volumes/Fink/lib/ruby/site_ruby/gems/gems/rmagick-1.10.1/ext/RMagick/extconf.rb:4
config failed
'system /sw/bin/ruby1.8 /Volumes/Fink/lib/ruby/site_ruby/gems/gems/rmagick-1.10.1/ext/RMagick/extconf.rb ' failed
try 'ruby install.rb --help' for usage
make: *** [config.save] Error 1
install.rb config first
try 'ruby install.rb --help' for usage
make: *** [install] Error 1
ruby configure install RMagick
Configuring RMagick 1.10.1
checking for install-gcc... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ruby... /sw/bin/ruby
checking for Magick-config... Magick-config
checking for InitializeMagick in -lMagick... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking magick/api.h usability... yes
checking magick/api.h presence... yes
checking for magick/api.h... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for AcquireMagickMemory... yes
checking for AcquireStringInfo... yes
checking for AdaptiveThresholdImage... yes
checking for AddDefinitions... no
checking for AddNoiseImageChannel... no
checking for BilevelImageChannel... yes
checking for BlackThresholdImage... yes
checking for BlurImageChannel... yes
checking for CompareImageChannels... yes
checking for ConvolveImageChannel... yes
checking for EvaluateImageChannel... yes
checking for ExportImagePixels... yes
checking for FuzzyColorCompare... yes
checking for GammaImageChannel... yes
checking for GaussianBlurImageChannel... yes
checking for GetColorHistogram... no
checking for GetColorInfoArray... no
checking for GetColorInfoList... yes
checking for GetImageChannelDepth... yes
checking for GetImageChannelDistortion... yes
checking for GetImageChannelExtrema... yes
checking for GetImageChannelMean... yes
checking for GetImageHistogram... yes
checking for GetImageProfile... yes
checking for GetImageQuantumDepth... yes
checking for GetImageStatistics... no
checking for GetMagickInfoArray... no
checking for GetMagickInfoList... yes
checking for GetMultilineTypeMetrics... yes
checking for GetNextImageAttribute... no
checking for GetNextImageProfile... yes
checking for GetTypeInfoList... yes
checking for GrayscalePseudoClassImage... no
checking for ImagesToBlob... yes
checking for ImportImagePixels... yes
checking for InterpretImageAttributes... no
checking for IsColorSimilar... no
checking for NegateImageChannel... yes
checking for NormalizeImageChannel... yes
checking for ParseSizeGeometry... yes
checking for PosterizeImage... yes
checking for PreviewImage... yes
checking for QuantumOperatorRegionImage... no
checking for RadialBlurImage... yes
checking for RandomChannelThresholdImage... yes
checking for RandomThresholdImageChannel... yes
checking for SeparateImageChannel... yes
checking for SepiaToneImage... no
checking for SetImageBackgroundColor... no
checking for SetImageChannelDepth... yes
checking for SetImageColorspace... yes
checking for SetImageOption... yes
checking for SetImageProgressMonitor... yes
checking for ShadowImage... yes
checking for SharpenImageChannel... yes
checking for SigmoidalContrastImageChannel... no
checking for SpliceImage... yes
checking for StripImage... yes
checking for ThresholdImageChannel... yes
checking for TintImage... yes
checking for UnsharpMaskImageChannel... yes
checking for VignetteImage... no
checking for WhiteThresholdImage... yes
checking for XImportImage... yes
checking for MagickBooleanType... yes
checking for magick_int64_t... no
checking for magick_uint64_t... no
checking for ExtendedSignedIntegralType... yes
checking for ExtendedUnsignedIntegralType... yes
checking for MagickOffsetType... yes
checking for MagickSizeType... yes
checking for ExceptionInfo.module... no
checking for Image.orientation... yes
checking for ImageInfo.orientation... yes
checking for Image.quality... yes
checking for Image.ticks_per_second... no
checking for Image.extract_info... yes
checking for HSBColorspace enum value... yes
checking for CineonLogRGBColorspace enum value... no
checking for LABColorspace enum value... yes
checking for Rec601LumaColorspace enum value... no
checking for Rec601YCbCrColorspace enum value... no
checking for Rec709LumaColorspace enum value... no
checking for Rec709YCbCrColorspace enum value... no
checking for LogColorspace enum value... no
checking for CopyCyanCompositeOp enum value... yes
checking for ReplaceCompositeOp enum value... yes
checking for DstCompositeOp enum value... yes
checking for ColorDodgeCompositeOp enum value... yes
checking for IndexChannel enum value... yes
checking for GrayChannel enum value... yes
checking for AllChannels enum value... yes
checking for JPEG2000Compression enum value... no
checking for UndefinedGravity enum value... yes
checking for QuantumPixel enum value... yes
checking for TransparentVirtualPixelMethod enum value... no
checking if GetImageQuantumDepth has only 1 argument... no
checking if GetColorInfoList has only 2 arguments... no
checking if GetTypeInfoList has only 2 arguments... no
checking if GetMagickInfoList has only 2 arguments... no
checking if RemoveImageProfile returns MagickBooleanType... no
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating ext/RMagick/extconf.rb
config.status: creating metaconfig
config.status: creating ext/RMagick/rmagick_config.h

This installation of RMagick 1.10.1 is configured for
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin] and ImageMagick 6.1.8.

make
/sw/bin/ruby install.rb config

make install
/sw/bin/ruby install.rb install