Problem sending emails.

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Mr. X., Jul 28, 2010.

  1. Mr. X.

    Mr. X. Guest

    Hello.
    I have an asp.net, that sending emails.

    I have the following code :
    Dim mail As New MailMessage
    Dim smtp As New SmtpClient("my-site.org")

    smtp.Credentials = New NetworkCredential("",
    "myPassowrd")
    mail.From = New MailAddress("")
    mail.To.Add("")
    mail.Subject = "Contact"
    mail.IsBodyHtml = true
    smtp.Send(mail)

    Everything works fine, till some changes of the site provider.

    Now I am getting the message :
    The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not
    authenticated.
    I have been told, I need to add some parameter : required authentication.
    Why may be that change?

    Thanks :)

    Mr. X., Jul 28, 2010

  2. Mr. X.

    Bob Barrows Guest

    ***canned wrong-newsgroup reply************************
    recommended practice) , but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
    ASP.Net bears very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be
    lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your
    question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a
    group where those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest
    "Why?"
    Well, it sounds as if the site administrator wanted to make the site more
    secure. Maybe he was having problems with bots using his site to send spam
    or something.

    Did you mean to ask how to make the change?

    Bob Barrows, Jul 28, 2010