Problem using ASP.NET 2.0 Membership and Roles

Mark Riley

Hi,
I have set-up my web app to use ASP.NET 2.0 membership and roles. It
works OK on my local Windows XP Professional PC but when I upload the
site to our Windows 2003 development server it doesn't. The local and
development server web sites both point to the same SQL Server 2005
database (located on the development server). When I connect to the
development server web site and enter my (correct) username and
password using the Login Control I just get the standard message 'Your
login attempt was not successful. Please try again.' When I change the
development server web.config to use no authentication or authorisation
(i.e. remove the respective tags) then I can interact with the site
fine. There's obviously some difference between the 2 machines but I
cannot spot it.
TIA,
Mark
PS: Please copy in any replies to my email ([email protected])

Mark Riley

I've found a solution thanks to someone on another forum. The
apsnet_Applications table stores the application name. This was
different between the 2 machines. I've added an applicationName
property in the web.config to a generic name and changed the entry in
the table.