Problem with CSS file in IE7

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Neredbojias:
Naturally there are exceptions.

So did you write it down 200 times? You're not allowed to talk before you've
done that and shown it to us. And no exceptions allowed.
Water is required to survive,

I'm impressed by the wealth of new information I get in alt.html every day.
Btw, I'm Swedish so learning Finnish might be heretical to my
heritage.

Yeah, I guess Finnish is still more or less illegal in Sweden.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:11:57
GMT dorayme scribed:
The distinction between styling and layout is not quite "the'
issue when it comes to the question about style and meaning
generally. When style is spoken of in the context of these
matters, it is almost always meant to include both colouring,
sizing, and yes, positioning and layout too. And quite rightly
for most purposes.

An example of where layout is *obviously* crucial to meaning is a
tabular table. A table is a good example of where how something
is laid out determines its meaning. Once the basic
meaning-related layout is achieved (greatly assisted by built in
HTML table magic), there comes a time for the *stylistic*
enhancements like colours, types of fonts, border types,
background colours and so on. But it is not a clear cut thing. If
you look at a table of atomic elements, you will see that some of
the styling, especially background colours, play a more than mere
optional role. These more than optional roles are where the
blurring occurs. It is often quite difficult to think up ways to
communicate things without the help of style.

Another way to look at it is this. There is a built in styling
(and I am not talking about default values, paras indented just
so so) to writing html itself. The order of the paras are
important to meaning. You can't be messing too much with classes
and positioning here otherwise you will change the meaning of the
whole, or confuse it. A list, visually, naturally, goes down the
page in the order it is written. It does not change the meaning
much if it is put inline. But there are constraints, you can't do
just anything in css without affecting the meaning communicated.

There is sometimes more than a marriage of convenience between
HTML and CSS, sometimes it is a holy union. Its sanctity is only
obscured by the triviality of so much that passes by on the
internet.

The best thing that any author can do is create create html that
can stand on its own as much as possible. That means it will mean
as much as what the author wants to convey as possible on its
very own. Then it is time to hitch up. The marriage will be all
the more successful, the more independent the html is in the
first place. But that does not mean that the marriage *merely*
enhances the meaning.

<Yawn> Reading all that made me really sleepy. Anyway, I think we're
generally in accord here and I particularly agree with you about html
standing on its own as much as possible. That's like the skeleton of the
proverbial animal. "There's no pheremones without dem dere bones."
However, semantics and separation and all that can be overstated as to
importance because the really important thing is how the page works and
looks, not how well it follows some hypothetically-optimal formulae.
Even validation can take second-seat if real world experience bears out
that a method or procedure is recognized overall and functional despite
what the w3c mopes have to say.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:29:03
GMT Jukka K. Korpela scribed:
So did you write it down 200 times? You're not allowed to talk before
you've done that and shown it to us. And no exceptions allowed.

I did but the dog ate it.
I'm impressed by the wealth of new information I get in alt.html every
day.

Yep. Things are much more succinct here than, say, ciwah.
Yeah, I guess Finnish is still more or less illegal in Sweden.

Well, the king got taken once by a Finnish aphrodesiac service. Swedes can
be stubborn.

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:11:57
GMT dorayme scribed:

<Yawn>

I have always suspected that there is only one really good and
entertaining way to deal with you that would not make you cease
yawning so: to send Officer White around to have a little word.
Actually, I have asked him to come and beat me up afterwards
after he has dealt with you - after I discovered myself yawning
at the above. Or maybe it is just the boozy afternoon that i have
had with Bush and Putin. Bush is a bit prissy (his wife was
watching us), but my god, that Putin can drink! I will tell you
the jokes we three shared one day.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:29:30 GMT
dorayme scribed:
I have always suspected that there is only one really good and
entertaining way to deal with you that would not make you cease
yawning so: to send Officer White around to have a little word.
Actually, I have asked him to come and beat me up afterwards
after he has dealt with you - after I discovered myself yawning
at the above. Or maybe it is just the boozy afternoon that i have
had with Bush and Putin. Bush is a bit prissy (his wife was
watching us), but my god, that Putin can drink! I will tell you
the jokes we three shared one day.

"Bush and Putin" - sounds like a vaudeville team. Btw, "Putin"
dyslexically in "Input".

When I refered to being sleepy, I didn't mean to suggest that your
overlong, rambling message was boring or anything like that. (If you're
confused by the lack of an included referral, that's because you snipped it
whilst retaining said to wit overlong and rambling missive.) But don't
worry, I have taken the liberty of exorcising the morphoditic morsel and we
all can rest easier knowing that we won't be put to sleep at our keyboards.

Is it warming up thare in Sydney yet?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:38:55 GMT
dorayme scribed:
that would make you cease... beware of double negatives after an
avo with Putin

Negatives can actually be summary as opposed to antipodal. I had an
acquaintance once who sucked. He told me about this acquaintance of his
whom he said sucked. Naturally, I thought that this acquaintance of my
acquaintance and I might share some common ground, -you know, like
opposites of opposites are the same or the enemy of your enemy is your
friend...that kind of thing. Boy, was I wrong! Not only did this twice-
removed acquaintance suck at least three times as much as my original
acquaintance, she even wanted to charge for the privilege!

Hmm, sounds kind of like a bin Hassid story, don't it?

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Is it warming up thare in Sydney yet?

In the centre of town, it is very hot at the moment. Snipers
everywhere. Everyone has pissed off to the bush while the APEC
circus is in town.

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:38:55 GMT
dorayme scribed:

Negatives can actually be summary as opposed to antipodal. I had an
acquaintance once who sucked. He told me about this acquaintance of his
whom he said sucked. Naturally, I thought that this acquaintance of my
acquaintance and I might share some common ground, -you know, like
opposites of opposites are the same or the enemy of your enemy is your
friend...that kind of thing. Boy, was I wrong! Not only did this twice-
removed acquaintance suck at least three times as much as my original
acquaintance, she even wanted to charge for the privilege!

Hmm, sounds kind of like a bin Hassid story, don't it?

I don't know what the hell you are talking about, you
barely-quarter-articulate Neanderthal.

But I do know a joke about sucking. I was visiting an elderly
relation once in a nursing home and as I was walking past one of
the rooms, I heard an old feller from the other side of the door
say: "Suck, Mildred, suck! "Blow" is just an expression!".

That should guarantee that only Travis will ever talk to me again
on this ng. Oh, well, them's the breaks.

mbstevens

Neredbojias said:
Negatives can actually be summary as opposed to antipodal.

Recently posted to another group:
A linguistics professor was lecturing his class one day.

"In English," he said, "a double negative forms
a positive. In some languages, though, such as Russian, a double negative is
still a negative. However, there is no language wherein a double positive
can form a negative." A loud voice from the back of the room piped up:
"Yeah, right."

dorayme

mbstevens said:
Recently posted to another group:
A linguistics professor was lecturing his class one day.

"In English," he said, "a double negative forms
a positive. In some languages, though, such as Russian, a double negative is
still a negative. However, there is no language wherein a double positive
can form a negative." A loud voice from the back of the room piped up:
"Yeah, right."

<g>

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 07 Sep 2007 07:10:21
GMT dorayme scribed:
I don't know what the hell you are talking about, you
barely-quarter-articulate Neanderthal.

Cro-Magnon, please... The Neanderthals were a side-branch of dweebo-
stupidos that died out because they listened to their women too much.
But I do know a joke about sucking. I was visiting an elderly
relation once in a nursing home and as I was walking past one of
the rooms, I heard an old feller from the other side of the door
say: "Suck, Mildred, suck! "Blow" is just an expression!".

That should guarantee that only Travis will ever talk to me again
on this ng. Oh, well, them's the breaks.

Wow, a dirty joke. I didn't think you were that kind of a girl. 'Hope
this wasn't just an oblique reference to a personal experience you felt you
had to get off your chest. Women do those kinds of things...

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 07 Sep 2007 14:12:37
GMT mbstevens scribed:
Recently posted to another group:
A linguistics professor was lecturing his class one day.

"In English," he said, "a double negative forms
a positive. In some languages, though, such as Russian, a double
negative is still a negative. However, there is no language wherein a
double positive can form a negative." A loud voice from the back of
the room piped up: "Yeah, right."

Excellent! -My kind of anecdote. I also like the phrase "Yeah, right," in
real life for it's sarcastically scintillating ironic tones.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 07 Sep 2007 06:58:10 GMT
dorayme scribed:
In the centre of town, it is very hot at the moment. Snipers
everywhere. Everyone has pissed off to the bush while the APEC
circus is in town.

Snipers? What are they sniping for, rightside-upness?