Problem with reading the contents, from and to adresses while using javamail pop3

Nikhil

Hey,
I'm downloading mail from a google account using pop3.
The dowloading is going well(at least for some messages).
When I display the contents of the message or the sender and receiver
addresses it shows some wierd thing that at least I cannot
understand....

Following is my program:

import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;
import javax.mail.*;
import javax.mail.internet.*;
import javax.activation.*;
import com.sun.mail.pop3.POP3Message;

public class PopTest2
{

private static final String SMTP_HOST_NAME = "smtp.gmail.com";
private static final String SMTP_PORT = "465";
private static final String emailMsgTxt = "Test Message
Contents";
private static final String emailSubjectTxt = "A test from
gmail";
private static final String emailFromAddress =
"(e-mail address removed)";
private static final String SSL_FACTORY =
"javax.net.ssl.SSLSocketFactory";
//private static final String[] sendTo = { "(e-mail address removed)"};

public static void main(String argv[])
{
AccountAuthentication auth = new AccountAuthentication();

String host = "pop.gmail.com";
String user = "myemailid";
String password = "mypassword";
String port = "995";

Properties props = new Properties();

//props.put("mail.debug", "true");
props.put("mail.pop3.host", host);
props.put("mail.pop3.user", user);
props.put("mail.pop3.port", port);
props.put("mail.pop3.starttls.enable","true");
props.put("mail.pop3.auth", "true");

props.put("mail.pop3.socketFactory.port", port);
props.put("mail.pop3.socketFactory.class",
"javax.net.ssl.SSLSocketFactory");
props.put("mail.pop3.socketFactory.fallback", "false");

Session session = Session.getDefaultInstance(props, auth);

try
{
Store store = session.getStore("pop3");

try
{
store.connect(host, user, password);

}
catch (MessagingException ex)
{
ex.printStackTrace();
}

try
{
if(store.isConnected())
{

Folder folder = store.getFolder("INBOX");
folder.open(Folder.READ_WRITE);

Message[] msg = folder.getMessages();
//Calendar c = new Calendar();

int len = folder.getMessageCount();
Date d=new Date();
Date msgDate;

System.out.println("Message Count: " + len);
Part p;

for(int i = 0; i < len; i++)
{
Flags msgFlags = msg.getFlags();
//msgDate=msg.getReceivedDate();
Flags.Flag[] sf = msgFlags.getSystemFlags();
{
p=msg;
String subject = msg.getSubject();
System.out.println("\nSEEN message");
System.out.println("\nSubject[" + i +
"]:---------------> " + subject);
System.out.println("\nFrom-------------------
"+msg.getFrom());

System.out.println("\nTo--------------------->"+
(msg.getRecipients(Message.RecipientType.TO)).toString());
//System.out.println("From soft------------->" +
"(e-mail address removed)");
System.out.println("Content:----------------->
\n"+msg.getContent());

else
{
System.out.println("Unable to open the Inbox.");

catch (MessagingException ex)
{
ex.printStackTrace();
}
catch(IOException ex)
{
ex.printStackTrace();

catch (NoSuchProviderException ex)
{
ex.printStackTrace();

And following is the output :(of only one of the many mails of the
account)

SEEN message

Subject[9]:---------------> Re: Student project

From------------------->[Ljavax.mail.internet.InternetAddress;@13582d

To--------------------->[Ljavax.mail.internet.InternetAddress;@21b6d
Content:----------------->
javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart@56a499

Now I can assure you that the message does not contain
"javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart@56a499".

How do I get the mail ids of sender and receiver and the content?
Thanx for having a look....

Lew

Nikhil said:
public class PopTest2
{

private static final String SMTP_HOST_NAME = "smtp.gmail.com";

Your post would be much easier to follow if you did not embed TAB characters
in it.

Message[] msg = folder.getMessages(); ....
System.out.println("\nFrom-------------------> "+msg.getFrom()); ....
And following is the output :(of only one of the many mails of the
account) ,,,
From------------------->[Ljavax.mail.internet.InternetAddress;@13582d

Well, of course we don't have the definition of Message in front of us, since
you didn't post an SSCCE, but dollars to doughnuts getFrom() doesn't return a
String. In fact, I will bet good money it returns a
javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress.

What is the type of Message.getFrom()?
(Hint: javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress)

What is the default output from toString() if one doesn't override it?
(Hint:
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/Object.html#toString()>

Nikhil

Nikhil said:
public class PopTest2
{
[...]

Thanks for replying....

Actually the getFrom method returns an array of type
javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress .
So now when i wrote the following statement, it printed the correct
address.

(msg.getRecipients(Message.RecipientType.TO))[0].toString()

But still I am not able to read the contents of the Messages whose
content type is MimeMultipart.
So how do I read contents of these messages?

Lars Enderin

Nikhil skrev:
Nikhil said:
public class PopTest2
{
[...]

You should be able to figure that out from the API documentation. Note
that different MessageParts may have different representations of the
actual message. One part may be text/html (or application/html), another
may be text/plain. It's all spelled out in the headers and the class
hierarchy. Note also that text may be encoded in, e g, Quoted Printable
or Base64. The header fields may also be encoded, if they contain
non-ascii characters.

Martin Gregorie

Nikhil said:
But still I am not able to read the contents of the Messages whose
content type is MimeMultipart.
So how do I read contents of these messages?
Look at the example code in the JavaMail API Design Specification. While
you're at it, download the API documentation as well: the
Message.getFrom() method returns javax.mail.Address objects, which are
not the same as javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress object, which you'd
know if you'd looked at the API documentation.