Problems using IsInRole - differences from XP and Windows2003

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by AJT, Jun 12, 2009.

  1. AJT

    AJT Guest

    Hello,

    I hope someone can help shed some light on this as its driving me mad.

    I have a Windows 2003 server that runs Active Directory and IIS and a
    development PC running XP

    If I have in my code HttpContext.Current.User.IsInRole("MyGroup") it
    fails if I am running IIS on my XP pc but if I host my site on the
    2003 server IIS all is ok.

    On getting the groups using the following code

    WindowsIdentity identity = WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent();
    List<string> groups = new List<string>();

    IdentityReferenceCollection identityReferences =
    identity.Groups;

    foreach (IdentityReference identityReference in
    identityReferences)
    {

    NTAccount account =

    (NTAccount)identityReference.Translate(typeof
    (NTAccount));

    groups.Add(account.Value);

    }

    I see that the results returned are quite different on WIndows 2003
    IIS vs XP IIS

    Windows 2003:

    SERVER2\A Taylor
    SERVER2\Domain Users
    Everyone
    SERVER2\MYGroup
    BUILTIN\Administrators
    BUILTIN\Remote Desktop Users
    BUILTIN\Users
    BUILTIN\Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access
    NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK
    NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
    NT AUTHORITY\This Organization
    SERVER2\Domain Admins
    SERVER2\MYGroup

    XP:

    SERVER2\A Taylor
    SERVER2\Domain Users
    Everyone
    BUILTIN\Users
    BUILTIN\Administrators
    NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE
    NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
    SERVER2\Domain Admins

    you can see that "MyGroup" doesnt appear for XP.

    Can anyone shed any light on this (or point me to a newsgroup that is
    more suited to this problem)

    Many thanks for your time.

    AJT, Jun 12, 2009

  2. Looks like a permissions issue. Most likely due to the user (you) being set
    up locally for MyGroup and through the Domain Controller for other roles on
    that server. That is a wild guess, but it would display the symptoms you
    are stating here.

    Gregory A. Beamer, Jun 15, 2009

  3. AJT

    AJT Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    The Group "MyGroup" is in the ActiveDirectory that the
    domainController uses. There is no "MyGroup" on my local machine.

    AJT

    AJT, Jun 16, 2009

  4. Check Active Directory permissions on querying that group, as it may be a
    domain setting. If not, it is beyond my current knowledge. Perhaps asking
    in an Active Directory forum? Hope this helps!

    Gregory A. Beamer, Jun 16, 2009