Problems using the 'extensions' gem - can anyone help?

innes

I'm running Ruby 1.9.1-p378 (RC2) on windows, installed from the
RubyInstaller.org site.
I've installed 'extensions' gem ("gem install -r extensions").

When I run irb and try and "require 'extensions/all" I get the
following error:

C:\Windows\System32>irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> false
irb(main):002:0> require 'extensions/all'
NameError: uninitialized constant VERSION
[snip]

Some code in the extensions/_base.rb is checking VERSION to determine
if running on a new enough version of ruby. This constant isn't
defined (NB: RUBY_VERSION is defined).

When I set VERSION = RUBY_VERSION before require'ing 'extensions/all'
I get this error instead:

RuntimeError: Ruby/Extensions: internal error: was supposed to
implement Array#select!, but it didn't!
from C:/Ruby19/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/extensions-0.6.0/lib/
extensions/_base.rb:113:in `implement'

Does anyone recognise this problem?

Luis Lavena

[...]

http://gemcutter.org/gems/extensions

Oh, there is no author in the gem... hmn:

http://extensions.rubyforge.org/rdoc/index.html

"Gavin Sinclair"

Ask him about it and proper support of Ruby 1.9.

There is also the backports gem:

http://gemcutter.org/gems/backports

[...]

Thanks Luis - I uninstalled and tried Ruby 1.8 from 'ruby installer'
instead, and it worked. I see from (http://eigenclass.org/hiki.rb?
Changes+in+Ruby+1.9) that VERSION is deprecated so this is all a Ruby
version issue.