Problems with Java Server Faces in JRun4 (and Tomcat)

Erik Danielsson

Hi!

I have downloaded Java Server Faces (jsf-1_0.zip) to have a look at
them. First I tried to install them in my JRun4 server, which supports
J2EE 1.3. When starting the server after that I get the following
Exception (and I can't run the JSF application):
"04/23 18:26:57 error Could not pre-load servlet: JSPServlet
[2]jrun.jsp.compiler.JRunTagLibraryInfo$InvalidTLDElementException:
The tag function on line 14 is not a valid TLD element
at
jrun.jsp.compiler.JRunTagLibraryInfo$TLDParser.startElement(JRunTagLibraryInfo.java:627)
at
jrunx.util.SAXReflectionHandler.startElement(SAXReflectionHandler.java:24)
at
org.xml.sax.helpers.XMLReaderAdapter.startElement(XMLReaderAdapter.java:333)"

Then I tried to install them in the Tomcat 4.0.6 server embedded in
Netbeans 3.5.1. I guess it also follows the J2EE 1.3 specification but
without the EJB:s. There when i start the server I get the message:
"Apache Tomcat/4.0.6
PARSE error at line 6 column 19
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Element type 'taglib' must be
declared."

I can however run the faces application in Tomcat. The only problem is
when I run the 'jsf-components' demonstration and try to 'view jsp' or
"org.apache.jasper.JasperException: This absolute uri
(http://java.sun.com/jstl/core) cannot be resolved in either web.xml
or the jar files deployed with this application"

I've also tried with java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core, which it says in the
JSTL-documentation, but the same result. It seems that the
JSTL-taglibraries referenced are not found or the server doesn't
support external URI:s. I saw in the documentation that JSF is tested
with J2SE 1.3.1_04 and later (I have 1.4.2_01), but does it need J2EE
1.4 as well? I don't have J2EE 1.4 yet, so must I download another
server as well?

/Erik D