Problems with Tablet PC entry to Java applets

Mickey Segal

When Java applets are run using Internet Explorer and the Microsoft Java
Virtual Machine (3810) on Windows XP Tablet PC edition (SP2; Tablet 2005),
often the Tablet Input Panel (TIP) floating icon will not appear following
pen presses or highlighting within the TextField. This is illustrated with
a working Java applet and full source code at:
http://www.segal.org/java/tablet_events/

During browser sessions in which the TIP floating icon does not appear for
the Java applet TextField, the TIP does appear for pen presses or
highlighting within the browser's Address input field. If the TIP is
summoned using the "Tablet PC Input Panel" tray icon, the text input to the
applet occurs as expected, but the TIP floating icon does not appear for the
Java applet TextField, even if the undock option is selected to close the
TIP. I see this problem on a Motion Computing M1300 Tablet PC.

In other browser sessions the TIP appears as expected and this behavior
persists during the entire browser session. Some people apparently do not
see this problem at all, even on an M1300 running XP Tablet 2005.

This seems like a bug, but it is difficult to approach because it is
inconsistent. Have others seen this? Are there workarounds to get the
TextField to elicit the TIP floating icon more reliably?

This bug does not appear using Sun's Java. However, as also detailed at the
URL given above, there is a major difference in how TIP events are handled
in the Sun and Microsoft JVMs, raising pitfalls for Java programmers trying
to support the Windows XP Tablet PC edition.

David Hilsee

This bug does not appear using Sun's Java. However, as also detailed at the
URL given above, there is a major difference in how TIP events are handled
in the Sun and Microsoft JVMs, raising pitfalls for Java programmers trying
to support the Windows XP Tablet PC edition.

It is my understanding that Microsoft's virtual machines are not a viable
platform unless you are willing to cater to a bug-ridden, outdated
implementation. I would not expect a whole lot of support from them,
especially now that they are focusing on .NET. Can you just tell your users
that Sun's JVM is required?

Andrew Thompson

Can you just tell your users
that Sun's JVM is required?

No, Mickey's apps.* are committed
to supporting the MSVM.

* It is more the apps. of the company for
which he works, as I understand. But yes,
it must be 1.1 (including MSVM) compatible.