Checkbox item events are double for pen input on Tablet PCs

Mickey Segal

There is a bug in firing Checkbox item events on Tablet PC. Clicking a
checkbox with the pen results in two item events. The problem does not
occur using a mouse.

This problem is particularly troublesome because programmers on
non-pen-based computers will not know it is an issue, and a second click on
a Checkbox often reverses the effect of the first click.

More details, a working applet and full source code are at
www.segal.org/java/just_checkbox/. Suggestions on workarounds are welcome.
After waiting for comments I will file a bug report. Hopefully the folks at
Sun have Tablet PCs to reproduce the problem.

Oliver Wong

Mickey Segal said:
There is a bug in firing Checkbox item events on Tablet PC. Clicking a
checkbox with the pen results in two item events. The problem does not
occur using a mouse.

This problem is particularly troublesome because programmers on
non-pen-based computers will not know it is an issue, and a second click
on a Checkbox often reverses the effect of the first click.

More details, a working applet and full source code are at
www.segal.org/java/just_checkbox/. Suggestions on workarounds are
welcome. After waiting for comments I will file a bug report. Hopefully
the folks at Sun have Tablet PCs to reproduce the problem.

When/If you file the bug report, probably best to specify the exact make
and model of the tablet PC. Maybe it works on some, but not all, of them.

- Oliver

Mickey Segal

Oliver Wong said:
When/If you file the bug report, probably best to specify the exact
make and model of the tablet PC. Maybe it works on some, but not all, of
them.

That is a good thought. This could well be a driver issue. I will add the
information once the bug (assigned #6494360 earlier today) gets onto the
database at http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/index.jsp.

I saw the bug on both a Motion Computing LS800 and a Motion Computing M1300.