Progress in data processing

Army1987

Old Wolf said:
Does such a thing exist? Linux used to comfortably
fit on a CD; now it takes seven or more.

For sufficiently large values of "Linux" and "now".
Ubuntu 6.10 is less than one year old, and does fit on a CD.

Richard Heathfield

[Followups set to clc]

(e-mail address removed) said:

Hehe. It's funny how people make conclusions like "Use Linux is FASTER
than Windows", "C is faster than C++" etc...

Yes, it is. Having used both Windows and Linux for a reasonable (or
indeed unreasonable) number of years now, I don't think there's a huge
difference in speed. What matters is how you use them.
To me, it's all a matter of programming - and I don't think that C's
great value resides in it's speed.

Well, that's *a* great value, but there are others - notably simplicity
and portability.
(is [C's speed] even defined by the standard? ;-) )

No, it isn't. On the other hand, C is remarkably good at not getting in
your way. If your C program is slow, it's far more likely to be the
fault of the problem, the algorithm, or the programmer than that of the
C language itself or of the implementation(s) being used.