Protecting webpages and/or folders...

algomedic

Hi, I have a question...

I inserted a javascript into my index file for my webpage to password
protect. With the successful login, your get the intended page. But,
because the page that was directed from the login can be accessed by
typing in the URL (or google scans it), how do I make it so that that
page always asks for the username/password. Am I able to make a folder
containing all the pages that I want protected and that won't be
accessible by everyone on the net? I am not a programmer by any means
and I'm sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense... Thank you
for your time...

Evertjan.

wrote on 15 apr 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
Hi, I have a question...

I suspected that ...
I inserted a javascript into my index file for my webpage to password
protect. With the successful login, your get the intended page. But,
because the page that was directed from the login can be accessed by
typing in the URL (or google scans it), how do I make it so that that
page always asks for the username/password. Am I able to make a folder
containing all the pages that I want protected and that won't be
accessible by everyone on the net? I am not a programmer by any means
and I'm sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense... Thank you
for your time...

Clientside javascript cannot protect you[r pages] because the user can find
or switch off the password easily.

Show us your page's url, if you do not believe this.

Pasword protection should be done with serverside code,
and if you want to use javascript, do it on an ASP platform.

algomedic

Hi, thanks for your reply - I know that this is by no means secure,
what I am trying to accomplish is to avoid the page being picked up by
search engines and only be available to family and friends...

Thanks again...

Roman Ziak

Hi, I have a question...

I inserted a javascript into my index file for my webpage to password
protect. With the successful login, your get the intended page. But,
because the page that was directed from the login can be accessed by
typing in the URL (or google scans it), how do I make it so that that
page always asks for the username/password. Am I able to make a folder
containing all the pages that I want protected and that won't be
accessible by everyone on the net? I am not a programmer by any means
and I'm sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense... Thank you
for your time...

It's usually done by a server script, which has way better means to
protect your pages.

Can be done by JavaScript, but then the page name will be calculated.
For example, say your password will be "jh348s", then your page can be

jh348s.html

or even better

e7685412a06162558a92f7fa85311b33.htm

It will still be accessible if someone knows the URL, but someone
knowing the URL

The script dor calculating MD5 is here:

http://pajhome.org.uk/crypt/md5/

Roman Ziak

Roman said:
It's usually done by a server script, which has way better means to
protect your pages.

Can be done by JavaScript, but then the page name will be calculated.
For example, say your password will be "jh348s", then your page can be

jh348s.html

or even better

e7685412a06162558a92f7fa85311b33.htm

It will still be accessible if someone knows the URL, but someone
knowing the URL

Sorry, did not finish the thought: someone knowing this URL is as
(im)probable as someone knowing the password.

Roman

Evertjan.

wrote on 15 apr 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
Hi, thanks for your reply - I know that this is by no means secure,
what I am trying to accomplish is to avoid the page being picked up by
search engines

Use

or put a robots.txt in your root.

see: said:
and only be available to family and friends...

advice: do not do this your way, even your expectations will fail!

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Hi, thanks for your reply - I know that this is by no means secure,
what I am trying to accomplish is to avoid the page being picked up
by search engines and only be available to family and friends...

You are looking for a Web server within a VPN.

PointedEars