ProtocolError?

Kevin Burton

I recently converted to Windows 2003 and I am not sure if this has a bearing
on my problem or not. I am getting a WebException now:

WebException: 'The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.'
at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
methodName, Object[] parameters)

Why is the client not "unauthorized"? Where do you think I should start to
diagnos the problem?

Thank you.

Kevin Burton

Dan Rogers

Hi,

Is it safe to assume that the server portion of the application was
upgraded, but the client portion was not? Some things to think about - on
2003 Server, the stack is running CLR 1.1, SOAP 1.2, and the ASP.net
service doesn't run as system. All of these could be contributing to the
error you are seeing. Is a client that is on the same server experiencing
this symptom?

Have you tried tracing the input (e.g. installing a trace Web Service
Extension such as George Lindsay's trace extension from gotdotnet.com and
then viewing the trace.axd output on the server? This would show what the
received packet looks like, and reveal whether the IIS server is rejecting
the call (unauthorized caller for a vroot that is not allowing anon
access), or if it is getting thru to the service itself.

Just some things to start with...

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation
--------------------
From: =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gQnVydG9u?= <[email protected]>
Subject: ProtocolError?
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:21:02 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

I recently converted to Windows 2003 and I am not sure if this has a bearing
on my problem or not. I am getting a WebException now:

WebException: 'The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.'
at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClien
tMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean
asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
methodName, Object[] parameters)

Why is the client not "unauthorized"? Where do you think I should start to
diagnos the problem?

Thank you.

Kevin Burton

Kevin Burton

The more I dig into this the more I think it something to do with increased
security with Windows 2003. But I can't put my finger on it yet. For testing
the client is running on the same machine as the server (IIS). So the client
is issuing a call to the web service on the same machine as the web server.

I looked in gotdotnet.com and could not find George Lindsay's name. Where
was this utility? Wouldn't Microsoft's SOAP trace utility do the same thing?
I will try that and see what I get.

Thank you for your assistance.

Kevin

From: =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gQnVydG9u?= <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:21:02 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

I recently converted to Windows 2003 and I am not sure if this has a bearing
on my problem or not. I am getting a WebException now:

WebException: 'The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.'
at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClien
tMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean
asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
methodName, Object[] parameters)

Why is the client not "unauthorized"? Where do you think I should start to
diagnos the problem?

Thank you.

Kevin Burton

Dan Rogers

Hi Kevin,

I looked on gotDotNet.com today for a trace utility and didn't find the
george lindsay files any more. But I did see a number of suitable web
service extensions that write to the ASP.net trace display. Search on
"trace".

BTW, you are right that 2003 server is much more secure than Win2K or WinXP
Pro were when they shipped.

One thought comes to mind - are you sure the URL's weren't changed? Does
refreshing the proxy on the client code have any effect?

Regards

Dan
--------------------

From: =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gQnVydG9u?=
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:21:02 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

I recently converted to Windows 2003 and I am not sure if this has a bearing
on my problem or not. I am getting a WebException now:

WebException: 'The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.'
at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClien
tMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean
asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
methodName, Object[] parameters)

Why is the client not "unauthorized"? Where do you think I should start to
diagnos the problem?

Thank you.

Kevin Burton

Kevin Burton

If I just do a simple TCP trace I get:

Sending:

POST /IVRService/IVRService.asmx HTTP/1.1
Expect: 100-continue
Connection: Keep-Alive
Host: localhost:81

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><soap:Envelope
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><soap:Body><IVRRequest
xmlns="http://tempuri.org/"><IVRRequest
xmlns="http://dps.visa.com/PPC"><Request
xsi:type="GetCardProgramParametersRequest"><DNIS>2626412640</DNIS></Request><CorrelationID>89cb6442-e691-4d1f-8290-c1218e2fc836</CorrelationID></IVRRequest></IVRRequest></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>

Receiving:

HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:39:01 GMT

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>You are not authorized to view this page</TITLE>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=Windows-1252">
<STYLE type="text/css">
BODY { font: 8pt/12pt verdana }
H1 { font: 13pt/15pt verdana }
H2 { font: 8pt/12pt verdana }
A:link { color: red }
A:visited { color: maroon }
</STYLE>
</HEAD><BODY><TABLE width=500 border=0 cellspacing=10><TR><TD>

<h1>You are not authorized to view this page</h1>
credentials that you supplied because your Web browser is sending a
WWW-Authenticate header field that the Web server is not configured to accept.
<hr>
<ul>
<li>Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to
view this directory or page.</li>
try again with different credentials.</li>
</ul>
<h2>HTTP Error 401.2 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to server
configuration.<br>Internet Information Services (IIS)</h2>
<hr>
<ul>
<li>Go to <a href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=8180">Microsoft
Product Support Services</a> and perform a title search for the words
</ul>

</TD></TR></TABLE></BODY></HTML>

This response brings up more questions. The message indicates that the
browser is sending WWW-Authenticate header which I am not sure how to turn
off or control.

Kevin

From: =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gQnVydG9u?=
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:21:02 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

I recently converted to Windows 2003 and I am not sure if this has a
bearing
on my problem or not. I am getting a WebException now:

WebException: 'The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.'
at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClien
tMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean
asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
methodName, Object[] parameters)

Why is the client not "unauthorized"? Where do you think I should start to
diagnos the problem?

Thank you.

Kevin Burton

Kevin Burton

Problem solved!!!

I guess the default was to not allow anonymous access to the web site. If I
allow anonymous access the problem goes away. In hind-site this makes sense
but I was having a hard time seeing it in the thick of the problem. Also the
trace helped lead me down that path. Thank you for the suggestion.

Kevin