Web Service Authentication Problem

Marco

Hi all.

Since a couple of days I'm experiencing a very strange problem with our
company intranet, which has kept running since at least five years.

We have different applications calling a web service located on the same web
server as the applications themselves.
On the whole web site basic and anonymous authentication are disabled, while
integrated windows authentication is enabled.
To authenticate on the web service I use "proxy.Credentials =
System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;".

Everything worked fine until a couple of days ago, when our system
administrator installed about 40 patches on the server (security and other).
Since then, when an application tries to call a method on the web service I
get following error message:

"[WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.]
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage
message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
+1303
methodName, Object[] parameters) +218
proxy.GetObjectID() +34
ASP.CAbsList.Page_Load(Object Sender, EventArgs E) in
E:\...\WebCWL\Default.aspx:166
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750"

Can anyone help me solve this problem?
Any hint would be quite appreciated, since we can not remove the installed
patches.

Thanks in advance,
Marco