Purpose of Ruby 1.9?

Giles Bowkett

I posted a suggestion to ruby-core that perhaps the Ruby 1.9 tarball
should be set up so that BY DEFAULT, it installs as ruby1.9 instead of
ruby, so that unwitting installers don't get their Ruby1.8
installation replaced by default.

Given the colossal numbers of clueless posts by Rails newbs that
happen all over the Web, I think that this is an extreeeeeeeeeeemely
good idea.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

Rick DeNatale

Hi,

In message "Re: Purpose of Ruby 1.9?"

|> - perhaps April?)
|> * In order to drive development, make intermediate releases regularly
|> with short (one month?) intervals with the version fixed at 1.9.0
|> (releases every 29th?)
|
|So I guess this means that version 1.9.0 will change at the end of
|each month??? until 1.9.1 is released maybe in April.
|
|If this is the case, I'm not sure just what changed when 1.9.0 was
|released on the 25th.
|
|I'm a bit confused.

They will be bug fix versions. The spec will not be changed. If
changed, they were spec bugs.

But will they all be version 1.9.0? What's the meaning of version if
there are multiple drops with the same version number?