PyGTK or wxPython (not a flame war) on Windows

Robert Kern

Torsten said:
As far as i know, there is nothing official. But I've read several
times that it's the most likely candidate for a seconds GUI system
for being included.

I think you're reading *way* too much into people engaging in wishful
thinking.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Peter Hansen

Torsten said:
I'm very suprised. wxPython is still that buggy?

Not really. One can go many months, or years, without encountering a
bug in a wxPython program which is not actually a bug in one's own code.

Use of "unstable" (i.e. new and/or rapidly changing) parts of the
framework are a different story. As with most Open Source projects,
such code is in flux and one uses it at one's own risk (reporting, I
hope, bugs that are encountered so that they can be fixed).

-Peter

Marek Kubica

Hi!

I'm very suprised. wxPython is still that buggy? I read reports
from 2000 about such observations, but they tried wxPython in a
non-standard way, and the project has had 5 years to become more
stable after all.
Well, I don't know version 2.6.x but I had some trouble with 2.4. I was
trying to mass-hide buttons, which was possible with .detach() or .hide()
(or was it .show(False)?). This was explained in the documentation, but in
the release I had, was a bug somewhere and the widgets had no .detach()
function. Robin Dunn said it will be fixed in the next release.. but that
release came months later. But I know that the release cycles had got a lot
faster in the meantime.
Besides, wxPython prepares for being included into the standard distribution.
To replace Tkinter? No problem with that :)

Oh, I see, there seems to be a more pythonic wrapper for wx: wax..
http://www.zephyrfalcon.org/labs/wax.html

greets,
Marek

Lonnie Princehouse

I haven't used PyGTK very much, so I can't comment on it. My last
impression of GTK-on-Windows was that it wasn't very stable and didn't
blend well with the Windows native look and feel, but that was a while
ago and it has probably improved a great deal since then.

I use wxPython, doing my development on Linux while most of the users
are on Windows. The documentation for wxPython is lame (as you pointed
out, it requires a lot of translation from C++), however the wxPython
demo app is WONDERFUL. It has great usage examples for all of the
widgets, along with source code. PyGTK has a similar demo app (which
appears to be an exact Python port of gtk-demo). wxPython does seem to
have a richer widget set.

One of the annoyances with wxPython is that there are many lingering
traces of C++, for example the need to have ID numbers all over the
place, and the ALL_CAPS_NAMES_FOR_CONSTANTS. Version 2.5 introduced
some good pythonic syntax improvements, so make sure you get a recent
version, and also make sure that whatever code examples you're learning
from use the new syntax for event binding, etc.

TPJ

I have encountered some problems with PyGTK only when I was trying to
install a PyGTK version that was different from the installed GTK+
version. When those both versions were the same, I had no problems at
all.

(Another problem with PyGTK is that it's installation is somewhat more
complicated that installation of wxPython, but I wrote a script that
can download and install PyGTK. The user have to tell where all this
stuff should be installed to and the script just does the rest.)

Tkinter is out of question. It looks ugly. I'd like to write a program
that would look nice.