PyQt QCalendarWidget events question

tinnews

I am trying to use the PyQt4 calendar widget to perform some different
actions on specific dates. There are three events available:-

selectionChanged()
activated(QDate)
clicked(QDate)

On trying all these out it would appear that the event handlers get
called as follows:-

The clicked(QDate) event gets called if you click on an already
selected date.

The selectionChanged() and then the clicked(QDate) events are
called when you click on a new date.

The selectionChanged(), then the clicked(QDate) and then the
activated(QDate) events are called if you double-click on a new date.

The clicked(QDate) and then the activated(QDate) events are called
if you double-click on an already selected date.

How can I get a single-click on a date to get 'Action1' and double-click
on a date to get 'Action2'?

[...]

I'm sorry, this got sent a bit before I'd completed it. The trouble
is that I want to run Action1 if I single-click on a date whether or
not it's a changed date and I want to run Action2 if I double-click on
a date whether or not it's a changed date. However I don't see how I
can do this because of the order in which the event handlers are
called.

Is there any way to manipulate this so I can get the result I want?
At the moment the only way I can see to do it is to wait a while after
a click and then look at what actions occurred but this seems a real
bodge.

John Posner

I'm sorry, this got sent a bit before I'd completed it. The trouble
is that I want to run Action1 if I single-click on a date whether or
not it's a changed date and I want to run Action2 if I double-click on
a date whether or not it's a changed date. However I don't see how I
can do this because of the order in which the event handlers are
called.

Is there any way to manipulate this so I can get the result I want?
At the moment the only way I can see to do it is to wait a while after
a click and then look at what actions occurred but this seems a real
bodge.

I suspect that the consensus would be "don't do that" -- having
single-click and double click perform unrelated actions. But here's an
implementation based on the advice at
http://www.qtcentre.org/threads/7858-Double-Click-Capturing

(use Ctrl-Break to break out of the event loop)

import PyQt4.QtCore as C
import PyQt4.QtGui as G

class Button(G.QPushButton):
def __init__(self, text):
G.QPushButton.__init__(self, text)

# flag to suppress second mouseReleaseEvent
# in this double-click event sequence:
# 1. mousePressEvent
# 2. mouseReleaseEvent
# 3. mouseDoubleClickEvent
# 4. mouseReleaseEvent
self.double_clicked = False

def mouseReleaseEvent(self, evt):
# executed for first mouseReleaseEvent
if not self.double_clicked:
self.first_click_timer = C.QTimer()
self.first_click_timer.setSingleShot(True)
# double-click must occur within 1/4 second of first-click
release
self.first_click_timer.setInterval(250)
self.first_click_timer.timeout.connect(self.single_click_action)
self.first_click_timer.start()
# executed for second mouseReleaseEvent
else:
# reset the flag
self.double_clicked = False

def single_click_action(self):
print "Performing single-click action"

def mouseDoubleClickEvent(self, evt):
# suppress the single-click action; perform double-click action
instead
self.first_click_timer.stop()
print "Performing double-click action"

# prepare for second mouseReleaseEvent
self.double_clicked = True

# main program

app = G.QApplication([])
button = Button("Click or double-click me")
button.show()
app.exec_()

HTH,
John

tinnews

John Posner said:
I suspect that the consensus would be "don't do that" -- having
single-click and double click perform unrelated actions.

They're not actually unrelated, one will edit an existing entry in a
file for the given date, the other will add a new entry in the file
for that date. I.e. single-click means open file at specified date,
double-click means open file at specified date and insert a new entry
for that date.

[...]

Yes, thanks, though it is basically the bodge using timing that I was
trying to avoid. It's so fundamental to most GUIs that single-click
and double-click allow one to do different things with the same object
I'm surprised that pyqt makes it so difficult to implement.

Chris Angelico

It's so fundamental to most GUIs that single-click
and double-click allow one to do different things with the same object

Kinda yes, kinda no. Most GUIs and GUI recommendations would either
enforce or strongly suggest that the double-click action incorporate
the click action; for instance, click to select, double-click to open.

The series of events usually goes:

Mouse down
Mouse up
Click
Mouse down
Mouse up
Double-click

They're fired as things happen and in that order. (Some systems insert
another Click just before the Double-click, but that's generally
unhelpful.) Please code your application so that this isn't a problem
to it, because anything else causes untold confusion to the users.

ChrisA