Python 3.0 (pinin' for the fjords)

Barry Warsaw

Now that Python 3.1 is out, it seems there's been some confusion as to
whether there will be one last Python 3.0 release, i.e. Python 3.0.2.

At the PyCon 2009 language summit it was decided that there will be
*no* Python 3.0.2. Python 3.0 is different than all other releases.
There will be no last maintenance release and no ongoing security
releases. Python 3.1 is the replacement for Python 3.0, and it's
release schedule was accelerated specifically so that production users
would be able to switch immediately.

If you're using Python 3, you are strongly urged to update to Python
3.1. Python 3.1 will be a 'normal' release in that we're making all
the guarantees that we make for other releases. It is likely that
Python 3.2 is 18-24 months away, there will be Python 3.1.x
maintenance releases, and there will be one last Python 3.1.x release
after the final release of Python 3.2.

Cheers,
-Barry

Alan G Isaac

Using the 3.1 Windows installer, I chose that I did not
want the extensions registered, and the installer
unregistered the .py and .pyw extensions (which I had wanted
to keep associated with Python 2.6).

Is this intentional?

Alan Isaac

PS I already fixed the problem. My question
is about intent.

Terry Reedy

Alan said:
Using the 3.1 Windows installer, I chose that I did not
want the extensions registered, and the installer
unregistered the .py and .pyw extensions (which I had wanted
to keep associated with Python 2.6).

Is this intentional?

I suspect not, but Martin is the one to answer.
If you had started a new thread for this new topic
"3.1 Windows Installer trashes extension registrations"
this would have been seen more easily ;-)

Alan G Isaac

Alan said:
I suspect not, but Martin is the one to answer.
If you had started a new thread for this new topic
"3.1 Windows Installer trashes extension registrations"
this would have been seen more easily ;-)

Done.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac