Python development tools

wongjoekmeu

Are there any completely free developent tools for python scripts like
IDLE. I have used IDLE , but I want to try out others also. I saw
stuff like PyCrust, but I don't see that it can run the script as
well.
Thanks,

RR

Mike Driscoll

Are there any completely free developent tools for python scripts like
IDLE. I have used IDLE , but I want to try out others also. I saw
stuff like PyCrust, but I don't see that it can run the script as
well.
Thanks,

RR

Check out PyDev for Eclipse. It's like Visual Studio for Python...I
actually find it kind of clunky, but it is cool!

To see what else there is, check out the Python wiki:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors

Mike

bvidinli

i saw boa constructor to be most close to delphi in python editors..
it is still far away from delphi but, it is closest anyway.

--
Ý.Bahattin Vidinli
Elk-Elektronik Müh.

+90.532.7990607
+90.505.5667711

kperkins257

Are there any completely free developent tools for python scripts like
IDLE. I have used IDLE , but I want to try out others also. I saw
stuff like PyCrust, but I don't see that it can run the script as
well.
Thanks,

RR

SPE is a very nice, and free python development tool. Written in
python ansd uses wxpython for the gui.

http://pythonide.blogspot.com/

bruno.desthuilliers

Are there any completely free developent tools for python scripts like
IDLE. I have used IDLE , but I want to try out others also. I saw
stuff like PyCrust, but I don't see that it can run the script as
well.
Thanks,

emacs + python-mode (the one from Python, not the horror that ships
with recent emacs versions) + ecb (Emacs code browser)

No bells and whistles, no clickodrom, but one of the most powerful
combo you can get. But be warned: learning and configuring emacs is
not for wheenies !-)

Trent Nelson

Are there any completely free developent tools for python
scripts like IDLE. I have used IDLE , but I want to try out
others also. I saw stuff like PyCrust, but I don't see that
it can run the script as well.
Thanks,

Ignoring the 'free' part of your question, I've recently moved from PyDev to Wing IDE (www.wingware.com), and would highly recommend it.

Trent.

castironpi

Hall�chen!

What's so bad about it?

I just installed python-mode (is this the one with the "py-"
prefixes?), and it ends multi-line strings at single quotes.  That's
bad.

Tsch�,
Torsten.

Did you guys see PyPE editor? It just come out.

Bruno Desthuilliers

Torsten Bronger a écrit :
Hallöchen!

What's so bad about it?

I'd have to reinstall it to tell you exactly, but I do remember
something really bad wrt/ the embedded python-shell, which is one the
very strength of the emacs+python-mode combo.
I just installed python-mode (is this the one with the "py-"
prefixes?),

It's the one with ;; Copyright (C) 1992,1993,1994 Tim Peters
and it ends multi-line strings at single quotes.

it chokes on unbalanced single quotes in triple-single-quoted strings,
and on unbalanced double-quotes in triple-double-quoted strings, yes.
Given that I never use triple-single-quoted strings (and don't remember
having seen such a thing in the thousands of third-part .py files I've
read so far), I'd qualify this as at most a very minor annoyance. Not
having proper python-shell and pdb integration is wwwwaaaayyyy more
annoying IMHO.

Banibrata Dutta

Hallöchen!

Bruno said:
[...]

and it ends multi-line strings at single quotes.

it chokes on unbalanced single quotes in triple-single-quoted
strings, and on unbalanced double-quotes in triple-double-quoted
strings, yes. Given that I never use triple-single-quoted strings
(and don't remember having seen such a thing in the thousands of
third-part .py files I've read so far), I'd qualify this as at
most a very minor annoyance. Not having proper python-shell and
pdb integration is wwwwaaaayyyy more annoying IMHO.

My formulation was unfortunate. What doesn't work (at least for me)
is something like

"""This is a docstring in which some "variables" are quoted."""

Here, "variables" doesn't seem to belong to the docstring for
python-mode.

Tschö,
Torsten.

Bruno Desthuilliers

Torsten Bronger a écrit :
Hallöchen!

Bruno said:
[...]
and it ends multi-line strings at single quotes.
it chokes on unbalanced single quotes in triple-single-quoted
strings, and on unbalanced double-quotes in triple-double-quoted
strings, yes. Given that I never use triple-single-quoted strings
(and don't remember having seen such a thing in the thousands of
third-part .py files I've read so far), I'd qualify this as at
most a very minor annoyance. Not having proper python-shell and
pdb integration is wwwwaaaayyyy more annoying IMHO.

My formulation was unfortunate. What doesn't work (at least for me)
is something like

"""This is a docstring in which some "variables" are quoted."""

Here, "variables" doesn't seem to belong to the docstring for
python-mode.

Nope, but it doesn't break anything neither. At this stage, this is a
less than minor annoyance to me.