Python module for making org charts?

Paul Gardella

Folks,

Does anyone know of a Python module for building organization charts? I've
looked at gdchart and JPGraph, but neither of them do org charts, as far as
I can tell. Seems it can be done with wxOGL in wxPython, but that's the
brute force approach. Any other options? Thanks.

Paul Gardella

John J. Lee

Paul Gardella said:
Does anyone know of a Python module for building organization charts? I've
looked at gdchart and JPGraph, but neither of them do org charts, as far as
I can tell. Seems it can be done with wxOGL in wxPython, but that's the
brute force approach. Any other options? Thanks.

Neither of these specifically know about org charts, but Graphviz (use
dot) and Reportlab are two options. But it shouldn't be much work in
any decent vector graphics API, I'd imagine. It's possible that dia
or sketch have code (maybe plugins) that specifically does org charts,
though.

John

Dave Kuhlman

John said:
Neither of these specifically know about org charts, but Graphviz
(use
dot) and Reportlab are two options. But it shouldn't be much work
in
any decent vector graphics API, I'd imagine. It's possible that
dia or sketch have code (maybe plugins) that specifically does org
charts, though.

That sounds like an answer to the output side, i.e. the need to
print org charts.

Related question -- Is there support for a digraph (directed graph)
*editor* in Python? I'd like to be able to edit state diagrams
and FSMs (finite state machines). I'm hoping to hook the Python
source code into my work on FSMs so that business rules and
processes can be encoded as FSMs.

I'm looking into PyUt. The documentation talks about some UML
diagrams (class, sequence, and use case diagrams), but I have not
found support for state transition diagrams. Maybe PyUt could be
extended.

Any other suggestions.

Dave

John J. Lee

Dave Kuhlman said:
John said:
Paul Gardella said:
Does anyone know of a Python module for building organization
charts? I've looked at gdchart and JPGraph, but neither of them
[...]
Neither of these specifically know about org charts, but Graphviz
(use dot) and Reportlab are two options. But it shouldn't be much
work in any decent vector graphics API, I'd imagine. It's
possible that dia or sketch have code (maybe plugins) that
specifically does org charts, though.

That sounds like an answer to the output side, i.e. the need to
print org charts.

No, it was primarily an answer to the "how to create" question. The
data structure / objects part looks easy, glancing at a few examples
on the web. Am I wrong?

Related question -- Is there support for a digraph (directed graph)
*editor* in Python? I'd like to be able to edit state diagrams
[...]

A GUI editor, you mean?

John

Dave Kuhlman

John said:
[snip]
No, it was primarily an answer to the "how to create" question.
The data structure / objects part looks easy, glancing at a few
examples
on the web. Am I wrong?

Related question -- Is there support for a digraph (directed
graph)
*editor* in Python? I'd like to be able to edit state diagrams
[...]

A GUI editor, you mean?

Right. I'd like to be able to (1) drop down bubbles/circles
(states), (2) connect then with arrows (transitions), (3) drag the
bubbles and watch the arrows stretch, (4) annotate the bubbles
(with names and comments) and arrows (with conditions and actions),
and (5) save the FSM as XML.

I can edit the XML representation of an FSM with my text editor
now. But, I'd like to be able to do it in a GUI editor. And, if
that GUI editor had connections of some sort to some kind of CASE
tools so much the better. PyUt + UML would seem to have that, but
PyUt does not support state transition diagrams.

I'm also investigating Leo. It's an outline/tree editor. That does
give some support for structure, but still does not let one "see"
the connections (arrows, transitions).

Dave