Python platform.

Fredrik Lundh

> I wonder if there is a platform written in python. The equivalent of
> the Netbeans platform http://platform.netbeans.org/ in the Python
> world. Do you know such a thing?

You (or maybe the Java folks) seem to have missed that platform has a
rather specific meaning in computing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_(computing)

Given that definition, Python is pretty much a platform in itself. If
you want to use Python for a specific task, you add libraries for that
task. Tell us what you want to do, and we'll tell you what libraries
and toolkits you might want to try.

</F>

carriere.jonathan

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

 > I wonder if there is a platform written in python. The equivalent of
 > the Netbeans platformhttp://platform.netbeans.org/in the Python
 > world. Do you know such a thing?

You (or maybe the Java folks) seem to have missed that platform has a
rather specific meaning in computing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_(computing)

Given that definition, Python is pretty much a platform in itself.  If
you want to use Python for a specific task, you add libraries for that
task.  Tell us what you want to do, and we'll tell you what libraries
and toolkits you might want to try.

</F>

I want to build a desktop application. I am searching for some kind of
environment that would provide all the elements ready (Windows...).
Then I would have to code the business logic only.

Jonathan.

bearophileHUGS

carriere.jonat...:
I want to build a desktop application. I am searching for some kind of
environment that would provide all the elements ready (Windows...).
Then I would have to code the business logic only.

I don't think there's such thing in Python, "all elements ready"
sounds strange :)

Maybe you may appreciate Dabo: http://dabodev.com/
Or maybe Pythoncard?

Bye,
bearophile

drobinow

I want to build a desktop application. I am searching for some kind of
environment that would provide all the elements ready (Windows...).
Then I would have to code the business logic only.

Jonathan.

What's business logic?

Fredrik Lundh

I want to build a desktop application. I am searching for some kind of
environment that would provide all the elements ready (Windows...).
Then I would have to code the business logic only.

start here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

The big ones are Tkinter, which is usually bundled with Python;
wxPython, and PyQt. There's also a trend towards using the web browser
as a presentation engine also for local applications; for libraries that
help you with that, you can start here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebProgramming

or jump directly to

http://www.djangoproject.com/

</F>

Sean DiZazzo

start here:

   http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

The big ones are Tkinter, which is usually bundled with Python;
wxPython, and PyQt.  There's also a trend towards using the web browser
as a presentation engine also for local applications; for libraries that
help you with that, you can start here:

   http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebProgramming

or jump directly to

   http://www.djangoproject.com/

</F>

I saw a message in the last few days showing how to use Flash as a
front end for Python apps. It looked interested.

Can anyone point me to it?

~Sean

primeq

Hello all;

I wonder if there is a platform written in python. The equivalent of
the Netbeans platformhttp://platform.netbeans.org/in the Python
world. Do you know such a thing?

Thanks a lot.

Jonathan.

Check out Eric (http://www.die-offenbachs.de/eric/) - it's not as
solid as Netbeans (way lower funding, fewer developers by a large
margin), but it works fine. Better still you have the source at your
fingertips when you're using it - it's written in Python.

Personally I have not had much success with the Windows version, but
the Linux version works out of the box for me.