Python streaming media server

Wesley

Hi,
Anyone knows open source streaming media server written by Python?

I am trying to setup a streaming media server in python, wanna find an existing one and have a look.

Thanks.
Wesley

Sturla Molden

Wesley said:
Anyone knows open source streaming media server written by Python?

I am trying to setup a streaming media server in python, wanna find an
existing one and have a look.

Not open source, but there is a famous closed-source one called YouTube.

Wesley

在 2014å¹´4月6日星期日UTC+8上åˆ1æ—¶38分57秒,Sturla Molden写é“:
Not open source, but there is a famous closed-source one called YouTube.

Are you kidding?
I know youtube, but do you think we can use it setup our own streaming media server?

Steven D'Aprano

在 2014å¹´4月6日星期日UTC+8上åˆ1æ—¶38分57秒,Sturla Molden写é“:

Are you kidding?
I know youtube, but do you think we can use it setup our own streaming
media server?

I'm sure if you have a few hundreds of million dollars, you could buy
YouTube from Google. Otherwise, no. It is secret, proprietary software,
not available to anyone else.

Speaking of Google, did you try this?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=python+streaming+video

Does that help?

Unfortunately, Google customizes the search results depending on who you
are and where you are, so you may not see what I see. But for me, the top
link (after the paid ads) is for a Python video streaming server.

Wesley

在 2014å¹´4月5日星期六UTC+8下åˆ6æ—¶11分02秒,Wesley写é“:
Hi,

Anyone knows open source streaming media server written by Python?

I am trying to setup a streaming media server in python, wanna find an existing one and have a look.

Thanks.

Wesley

After a lot google work, I am looking at Flumotion.
Need to check the streaming mode and file formats it support.

Wesley

Mark Lawrence

在 2014å¹´4月5日星期六UTC+8下åˆ6æ—¶11分02秒,Wesley写é“:

After a lot google work, I am looking at Flumotion.
Need to check the streaming mode and file formats it support.

Wesley

Would you please use the mailing list
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list or read and action
this https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython to prevent us
seeing double line spacing and single line paragraphs, thanks.

Sturla Molden

Wesley said:
Are you kidding?
I know youtube, but do you think we can use it setup our own streaming media server?

Obviously not.

Before YouTube was bought by Google, it was common knowledge that it ran on
Stackless Python. So a streaming media server on Python is absolutely
possible. But no, I don't know of one you can set up and use on your own.

You can make a highly scalable server with PyZMQ and Tornado or Twisted.
NumPy is great for storing binary data like media streams. HDF5 (PyTables
or h5py) might be a better database than some SQL server, as it is capable
of highly scalable parallel binary i/o.

Sturla

Wesley

在 2014å¹´4月6日星期日UTC+8下åˆ8æ—¶52分37秒,Sturla Molden写é“:
Obviously not.

Before YouTube was bought by Google, it was common knowledge that it ran on

Stackless Python. So a streaming media server on Python is absolutely

possible. But no, I don't know of one you can set up and use on your own.

You can make a highly scalable server with PyZMQ and Tornado or Twisted.

NumPy is great for storing binary data like media streams. HDF5 (PyTables

or h5py) might be a better database than some SQL server, as it is capable

of highly scalable parallel binary i/o.

Sturla

Thanks, Sturla.
Umm,I think we can setup one using the technique skills you mentioned above:)
But that will need a lot work to do I think.

I am looking at an opensource one named Flumotion.

Wesley