Python web framework choice

Mahdi

Guys!

I need to develop a medium-sized database web application for my
company. Given that:
I don't know much about building web UI(s) but i have fair knowledge
about HTML & My schedule is tight.

a recommendation is v v v appreciated.

thanks!

david.lyon

Quoting Mahdi said:
I need to develop a medium-sized database web application for my
company. Given that:
I don't know much about building web UI(s) but i have fair knowledge
about HTML & My schedule is tight.

a recommendation is v v v appreciated.

I'm in the same boat.... a few weeks in.....

I've found that most of the python frameworks are based on the python
cherrypy server. Thats a good place to work out how the webserver part
of the non-zope systems work. ie django etc

So that is the webserver part....

then you need to build your webpages....

I have found Cheetah.... which is pretty powerful... that is a
templating system to build the actual pages from the database content...

that works nicely...

obviously django and pylons wrap all these basics into a 'product'...

so it depends if you want to learn all the basic pieces
(CherryPy/Cheetah)... or jump straight into the high level stuff
straight away (pylons/django)...

depends how much money your boss is throwing your way i guess....

David

Bruno Desthuilliers

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
I'm in the same boat.... a few weeks in.....

I've found that most of the python frameworks are based on the python
cherrypy server.

"most" ? Turbogears < 2.x set aside (TG2 runs on top of pylons), I
didn't heard of much cherrypy-based frameworks (except possibly for
home-grown unpublished ones).
Thats a good place to work out how the webserver part
of the non-zope systems work. ie django etc

Django was initially designed to run on mod_python, then added support
for fcgi and wsgi IIRC.
So that is the webserver part....

then you need to build your webpages....

I have found Cheetah.... which is pretty powerful... that is a
templating system to build the actual pages from the database content...

from whatever content...
that works nicely...

There are quite a couple other templating systems. One could mention
Mako, Genshi, TAL, Breve, Jinja, etc...
obviously django and pylons wrap all these basics into a 'product'...

Django has it's own templating system (and it's own ORM)[1]. Pylons
(which is a 100% wsgi-based framework) default to Mako (templating) and
SQLAlchemy (ORM), but these are only defaults

[1] you can of course use other templating systems and ORMs with it, but
then you'd loose most of what makes Django interesting...