Python's great, in a word

MartinRinehart

I'm a Java guy who's been doing Python for a month now and I'm
convinced that

1) a multi-paradigm language is inherently better than a mono-paradigm
language

2) Python writes like a talented figure skater skates.

Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
completes:

The best thing about Python is _______.

Please, no laundry lists, just a word or two. I'm thinking "fluid" or
"grace" but I'm not sure I've done enough to choose.

Pablo Ziliani

Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
completes:

The best thing about Python is _______.

Hi Martin, here is my top three:

1) Fun
2) Simplicity
3) Productivity

Dustan

I'm a Java guy who's been doing Python for a month now and I'm
convinced that

1) a multi-paradigm language is inherently better than a mono-paradigm
language

2) Python writes like a talented figure skater skates.

Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
completes:

The best thing about Python is _______.

Please, no laundry lists, just a word or two. I'm thinking "fluid" or
"grace" but I'm not sure I've done enough to choose.

Here's a modest list:

Masterly, tops, best obtainable, high-grade, very good, select,
outstanding, exemplary, top-notch, boss, first-rate, crack, smashing,
excelling, prime, skilled, crackerjack, sublime, super, terrific,
peerless, notable, paramount, divine, premium, hand-picked, estimable,
admirable, prize, choice, competent, desirable, attractive, foremost,
to be desired, A-one, top-flight, dandy, incomparable, grade A,
capital, great, dynamite, heavenly, unique, refined, matchless, high-
quality, well-done, A-OK, blue-chip, frontline, sensational, highest,
jim-dandy, splendid, extraordinary, exquisite, superlative, worthy,
masterful, distinguished, magnificent, tiptop, accomplished, all
right, first, first-class, fine, very fine, ace-high, exceptional,
sharp, supreme, marvelous, transcendent, praiseworthy, custom-made,
remarkable, world-class, invaluable, groovy, champion, rare, best,
wonderful, superb, choicest, enticing, top, superfine, commendable,
skillful, neat, striking, distinctive, priceless, sterling, superior,
cool, classy, finest, hot, keen, above par.

alain

I'm a Java guy who's been doing Python for a month now and I'm
convinced that

1) a multi-paradigm language is inherently better than a mono-paradigm
language

2) Python writes like a talented figure skater skates.

Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
completes:

The best thing about Python is _______.

Please, no laundry lists, just a word or two. I'm thinking "fluid" or
"grace" but I'm not sure I've done enough to choose.

Paraphrasing Steve Jobs but in this context:
PYTHON = a bycycle for the mind

Best regards

Alain

Tim Chase

The best thing about Python is _______.

+ readable
+ productive
+ mind-fitting

-tkc

Henry Chang

What exactly does it mean "a bycycle for the mind"??

(assuming s/bycycle/bicycle)

Paddy

I'm a Java guy who's been doing Python for a month now and I'm
convinced that

1) a multi-paradigm language is inherently better than a mono-paradigm
language

2) Python writes like a talented figure skater skates.

Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
completes:

The best thing about Python is _______.

Please, no laundry lists, just a word or two. I'm thinking "fluid" or
"grace" but I'm not sure I've done enough to choose.

Concise!
See http://paddy3118.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_archive.html
For my search!

- Paddy.

George Sakkis

I'm a Java guy who's been doing Python for a month now and I'm
convinced that

1) a multi-paradigm language is inherently better than a mono-paradigm
language

2) Python writes like a talented figure skater skates.

Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
completes:

The best thing about Python is _______.

.... it's a pleasure to write *and* read.
.... it keeps simple things simple and makes hard things doable.
.... it's the language that sucks the least.

George

Carl Banks

I'm a Java guy who's been doing Python for a month now and I'm
convinced that

1) a multi-paradigm language is inherently better than a mono-paradigm
language

2) Python writes like a talented figure skater skates.

Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
completes:

The best thing about Python is _______.

Please, no laundry lists, just a word or two. I'm thinking "fluid" or
"grace" but I'm not sure I've done enough to choose.

"it doesn't suck".

(Really. All programming languages have good, useful features. Even
Perl. Python is unique in having no very bad ones.)

Carl Banks

jo3c

I'm a Java guy who's been doing Python for a month now and I'm
convinced that

1) a multi-paradigm language is inherently better than a mono-paradigm
language

2) Python writes like a talented figure skater skates.

Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
completes:

The best thing about Python is _______.

Please, no laundry lists, just a word or two. I'm thinking "fluid" or
"grace" but I'm not sure I've done enough to choose.

skimpythong!!

alain

What exactly does it mean "a bycycle for the mind"??

(assuming s/bycycle/bicycle)

Sorry for my bad spelling.
The original quote from Steve Jobs reads "the computer is a bicycle
for the mind".
This is what i feel when programming in Python: a productivity boost
compared to pedestrians and an immense pleasure.

Alain

Fredrik Lundh

Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
completes:

The best thing about Python is _______.

Please, no laundry lists, just a word or two. I'm thinking "fluid" or
"grace" but I'm not sure I've done enough to choose.

"its pencil-like qualities"

</F>