Python's great, in a word

Carl Banks

I think it sounds better as "its pythonicity".

Mixing Greek and Latin suffixes usually works better than mixing Greek
and Germanic, doesn't it.

Carl Banks

Basilisk96

I'm a Java guy who's been doing Python for a month now and I'm
convinced that

1) a multi-paradigm language is inherently better than a mono-paradigm
language

2) Python writes like a talented figure skater skates.

Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
completes:

The best thing about Python is _______.

Please, no laundry lists, just a word or two. I'm thinking "fluid" or
"grace" but I'm not sure I've done enough to choose.

Here's a new word -
....its humanicity factor.

That definition, according to me, is:
"its ability to let you *quickly* formulate and solve your problem in
the way that YOU see it, not as the computer sees it."

Did programmers stop writing programs on punch cards because they ran
out of punch paper?

Cheers,
-Basilisk96

MartinRinehart

Thanks to all for many helpful suggestions.

Python, by the way, is verbose when compared to APL. (See
http://catpad.net/michael/apl/ if you don't believe this.) You need to
stick in an adverb (maybe "gracefully concise") as standalone
"concise" is owned by APL.
Did programmers stop writing programs on punch cards because they ran
out of punch paper?

If you drive on the NYS Thruway, you still get a punch card when you
enter. You turn it in when you pay your toll.

Paddy

Thanks to all for many helpful suggestions.

Python, by the way, is verbose when compared to APL. (Seehttp://catpad.net/michael/apl/if you don't believe this.) You need to
stick in an adverb (maybe "gracefully concise") as standalone
"concise" is owned by APL.

If you drive on the NYS Thruway, you still get a punch card when you
enter. You turn it in when you pay your toll.

I didn't reread my blog post! I meant Python is *succinct* with
definition:
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/succinct?view=uk

"Briefly and clearly expressed".

(I should engage brain before typing).

- Paddy.

Jan Claeys

Op Mon, 07 Jan 2008 05:09:15 -0800, schreef MartinRinehart:
Would you Python old-timers try to agree on a word or two that
completes:

The best thing about Python is _______.

Please, no laundry lists, just a word or two. I'm thinking "fluid" or
"grace" but I'm not sure I've done enough to choose.

The best thing about Python is how it tries to find the "perfect" balance
between elegance, practicality & clarity.