q: console widgets for *nix and windows?

aum

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a widget library for text console, that works
not only on *nix systems but windows /as well/?

I'm looking for something a bit higher-level than pure curses, preferably
with a gui-like set of widgets, event loop, handler methods etc.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

aum

Thanks - but the python wrapper (pytvision.sf.net) is pretty broken,
particularly the windows build.

Any other suggestions?

Looking for:
- builds ok under gcc on linux and mingw on win32
- has python wrapper available that builds with the same tools
- works
- can use the win32 cmd.exe console

I've tried urwid over wvision, but still no luck.

My main need is to create a user interface compatible with blind users'
screen reader programs - for both linux and win32.

Grant Edwards

Thanks - but the python wrapper (pytvision.sf.net) is pretty broken,
particularly the windows build.

Sorry about that, I've never tried it under python. I tried a
C demo under linux a few years back.
Any other suggestions?

I'm not aware of Python support for it, but there's also the
"Curses Development Kit" (CDK). IIRC, it's a little
lower-level that what you're asking for, but I'm not really
aware of anything else.

http://www.vexus.ca/products/CDK/
http://invisible-island.net/cdk/