Qt, Ruby, and Windows

gregarican

Just checking to see if anyone knows the progress of Ruby's Qt bindings
for Windows platforms. I have a project I've almost completed running
on a Linux-based PDA based on Qt 2.x and was trying to get it ported
over to my Windows clients as well. I posted back in April regarding
problems I had trying to run the extconf.rb in order to install Ruby's
Qt bindings on my Windows clients. Late last week I ran across Windows
binaries for Ruby's Qt bindings, but they were based on a binary
install of Ruby 1.6. I am trying to standarize my clients on Ruby 1.8.

Does anyone know if a Windows binary package exists for Qt 2.x bindings
written for Ruby 1.8? I read that work was being done on Windows
support for Ruby's Qt 4.x bindings so even then I could try bringing in
my Qt 2.x code if it was available...

Richard Dale

gregarican said:
I read that work was being done on Windows
support for Ruby's Qt 4.x bindings so even then I could try bringing in
my Qt 2.x code if it was available...
Caleb Tennis and myself have been working on the QtRuby Qt4 port; it is
going well. The code is in the KDE svn under trunk/KDE/kdebindings in the
directories qtruby, kalyptus and smoke/qt.

It is already working well enough to port to Windows. I have the tutorial
examples t1 to t14 for the cannon game working, and quite a few of the
example programs too. But I don't have a Windows development environment,
so we just need someone familiar with qmake, mingw, and the GPL'd Qt4 for
Windows and so on, to do the port.

The main thing that is missing at the moment is a Qt4 equivalent of the Qt3
rbuic tool for compiling Qt Designer .ui files to ruby code.

-- Richard

gregarican

Richard said:
It is already working well enough to port to Windows. I have the tutorial
examples t1 to t14 for the cannon game working, and quite a few of the
example programs too. But I don't have a Windows development environment,
so we just need someone familiar with qmake, mingw, and the GPL'd Qt4 for
Windows and so on, to do the port.

Sounds great. I am looking forward to this for sure. On Windows the
most recent non-commercial Qt dll file I could find was Qt v2.3.0. And
given the fact that Qt has released v4 with a Windows non-commercial
option I am hoping to bring my code to a standard revision level.

The other option I had been investigating was porting my application to
an alternative widget set using Widestudio's
(http://www.widestudio.org) GUI toolkit. After learning basic Tk and
now Qt I was not relishing tackling another toolkit but it might be an
interesting adventure. Maybe for the next application and not this
current one :)