question on serialization and readObject()

mitch gart

Suppose I'm doing my own serialization and am overriding readObject()
and writeObject(). Suppose the object I'm reading contains a field

private int x = -1;

If readObject() doesn't do an assignment to x, does x end up with the
value 0 or -1? Thanks,

- Mitch

David Zimmerman

zero. Upon reading objects from an ObjectStream, none of the
constructors run, including any initialization (which makes sense, since
the ObjectStream will probably just reset the initialization)