Randomly access files in J2ME

Thini, Marthinus

Good day everyone this is my first post in this group and need help. I
want to create a class that can randomly access files and read and
write only sections of the file instead of reading or writing the
whole file into memory. This will actually help with memory management
on mobile devices.

Can anyone give me some advice

Thanks in advance.
Marthinus

Lee Fesperman

Good day everyone this is my first post in this group and need help. I
want to create a class that can randomly access files and read and
write only sections of the file instead of reading or writing the
whole file into memory. This will actually help with memory management
on mobile devices.

Can anyone give me some advice

You didn't indicate which JME Profile you're using, so I'll cover all.
Personal Profile and Personal Basis Profile (CDC) provide regular file
access and support java.io.RandomAccessFile. MIDP (CLDC) on the hand
doesn't have such a file structure, instead it supports Record Stores
which provide random access to variable-length records.

THINI MAB

--
Lee Fesperman, FFE Software, Inc. (http://www.firstsql.com)
* The Ultimate DBMS is here!

Thanks for your advice. I will incorporate it into my development
Marthinus