(Re)announcing APL 2007

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mike Kent, Aug 6, 2007.

  1. Mike Kent

    Mike Kent Guest

    Mike Kent, Aug 6, 2007

  2. Mike Kent

    Paul Mansour Guest

    APL2007 Roll Call: Is anyone going to this?

    I'm thinking about going, but I don't want to the only one to show up,
    as in San Diego.

    Paul Mansour, Aug 6, 2007

  3. Mike Kent

    Steve Guest

    I'm going.

    Steve, Aug 9, 2007
  4. Mike Kent

    rjp Guest

    Here here.

    Sorry to mention the elephant in the room, but this discussion begs
    the obvious question: what is the rationale for putting on this
    conference? Perhaps I missed that discussion, and if so, please
    excuse me.

    As we know, there are already two well-attended APL vendor conferences
    in the world each year, plus several other more local gatherings.

    Speaking as an APL consultant and product distributor, this puts
    people in a tough spot, since we now have at least three events to
    consider travelling to and attending (assuming APL2000 is hosting its
    usual Florida event this year?).

    I suppose I should be happy for another opportunity to meet and
    network with potential APL colleagues and customers, but if it's
    mainly the same small audience at each event, the costs are hard to
    justify more than once per year.

    I don't have any answers to this dilemma yet, but I think it requires
    a lot more discussion. Just putting on a conference and hoping people
    attend may, at this point I think, be somewhat counterproductive.

    ....richard

    rjp, Aug 10, 2007
  5. I'm thinking of going also , setting up some arrangement to provide
    an introductory tutorial to my free and open 4th.CoSy .

    My website is transiting between hosts so I don't recommend even
    looking at it right now . But by the end of the month I should be
    uploading a system with the Forth integrated and usable multiple
    windows ala K's "electric gui" .

    Hopefully by conference time , I'll have my recursive , quite APLish
    syntax , interpreter working .

    Bob Armstrong, Aug 14, 2007
  6. Mike Kent

    glarocque Guest

    Richard,

    In your comments you were concerned by the fact that the rationale for
    APL2007 was not clear. You also mentioned that there was some sort of
    a conflict with two APL vendor conferences. When the decision was made
    to hold a conference in the fall of 2007, the members of the steering
    committee were well aware that there was a potential conflict with APL
    vendor workshops. However, we had a discussion about this issue and
    finally concluded that it was a good idea to go ahead with APL2007 for
    two reasons. First, the idea to hold APL2007 is to have users of
    different Array Programming Languages (including APL, J, K, NIAL and
    other related languages) attend the conference. SIGAPL, in addition to
    fostering the discussion between array programming languages
    themselves, aims to promote the array processing paradigm and its
    richness in contrast to the scalar one. It is SIGAPL's vision to serve
    as a counterpoint in the programming community by facilitating
    communications among researchers, developers and users of Array
    Programming Languages. APL2007 will be an excellent opportunity to
    promote our core values in the mainstream programming community
    through our conference agenda, tutorials and discussion panels. This
    will benefit APL and all Array Programming Languages. Second, there
    was an opportunity to meet jointly with OOPSLA. Thus, APL2007
    attendees will have the opportunity to spend a few more days and
    attend other presentations on object oriented programming. As far as
    APL is concerned, there has been development in object oriented
    programming in some APL versions. I am confident that all the APL
    vendors and many APL consultants and users will attend the conference,
    along with researchers, consultants or users of Array Programming
    Languages. So, I am looking forward to meeting you at APL2007.

    Guy Larocque
    SIGAPL Chairman

    glarocque, Aug 16, 2007