Recommendation for good book for layout and design for web pages

John Dalberg

I am looking for a good book for designing webpages. I am not looking for
html, css, javascript books. Let's assume I know this topics very well. I
don't have artisitic skills so I need some help from a good book. A book
that shows good design layouts, how to create rounded corners and non
rectangular shapes, some css tricks, good colors, what fonts to use for
what purposes, white space, navigation menus, what to avoid, etc..

Any recommendations?

John Dalberg

The Doormouse

John Dalberg said:
A book
that shows good design layouts, how to create rounded corners and non
rectangular shapes, some css tricks, good colors, what fonts to use for
what purposes, white space, navigation menus, what to avoid, etc..

Avoid web design books. Get a basic graphic design book.
CSS is a tool for maintaining a web page and positioning.
There are no "tricks".

Any color is "good". Any color is "bad".
Rounded corners are easily created in Photoshop or Illustrator.
Same with the non-rect shapes.
Any recommendations?

The Doormouse

brucie

in post: <
John Dalberg said:
A book that shows good design layouts,

The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
Building Accessible Websites
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/073571150X/
Information Architecture for the World Wide Web

Andy Dingley

John Dalberg said:
I am looking for a good book for designing webpages.

If you find one, let us know.

I'd go up a level higher (as the Doormouse suggests) - stop looking at
the "web books", for they're nearly all rubbish. Go for real design
classics - authors like Edward Tufte or Papanek who understood
_design_.

PeterMcC

Andy Dingley wrote in
If you find one, let us know.

I'd go up a level higher (as the Doormouse suggests) - stop looking at
the "web books", for they're nearly all rubbish. Go for real design
classics - authors like Edward Tufte or Papanek who understood
_design_.

And, in that vein, I'd add Schriver's "Dynamics in document design". Pretty
much geared towards the printed media but useful for underlying principles
with empirical evidence.