recommendations

Anne M-W

I would like some advice on the best environment to use for doing
document transformations using XSLT 2.0. Suggestions? It is my
understanding that MicroSoft Visual Studio .Net 2003 does not currently
support XSLT 1.0, correct? I am just beginiing my "journey" into XSLT
2.0 so any help would be appreciated........

Martin Honnen

Anne said:
I would like some advice on the best environment to use for doing
document transformations using XSLT 2.0. Suggestions? It is my
understanding that MicroSoft Visual Studio .Net 2003 does not currently
support XSLT 1.0, correct? I am just beginiing my "journey" into XSLT
2.0 so any help would be appreciated........

First you ask about XSLT 2.0, then you ask about Visual Studio .NET 2003
not supporting XSLT 1.0. So it is not really clear what you are
interested in.
..NET 1.x has System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform as its XSLT processor
implementing XSLT 1.0.
..NET 2.x has System.Xml.Xsl.XslCompiledTransform as its XSLT processor
implementing XSLT 1.0 (too). The main difference is not in the support
of a new XSLT version but rather a completely new architecture improving
execution speed of XSLT transformations. XslCompiledTransform as other
XML APIs in the .NET framework 2.0 however have improved XSD schema
support/integration.

If you want to use the .NET framework and XSLT 2.0 then Michael Kay's
Saxon for .NET is an option, see
<http://www.saxonica.com/products.html>

Saxon is also available for Java (and was mainly developed as a Java
application and only ported to .NET), I think it runs with JDK 1.4 and
later.

There might be other XSLT 2.0 implementations. And various XML editors
might use Saxon or other implementations to offer you support for
creating, running and debugging XSLT 2.0 stylesheets.

Peter Flynn

Anne said:
I would like some advice on the best environment to use for doing
document transformations using XSLT 2.0. Suggestions?

Linux, Java, and Saxon. No competition.

///Peter