refresh frames

Xerxes

Hi,
a newbie question:

How can I refresh a page in a separate frame. For example, when someone
logs in in the main frmae, I want to refresh another frame to display
info differently.

TIA.

VK

Xerxes said:
How can I refresh a page in a separate frame. For example, when someone
logs in in the main frmae, I want to refresh another frame to display
info differently.

You may want to read this group FAQ:
<http://www.jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_8>

This information is relevant to replacing one HTML page by another. If
by "refresh" you mean "update some parts of the current page" then you
have to use DOM methods.

Please do not hesitate to ask.

Xerxes

Thanks for the reply. How can I sent a "refresh command" to another
frame from within a frame?
When the user presses the submit button in a form that is displayed in
one frame, I want ot just "refresh" another frame.

Thanks.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Xerxes said:
Thanks for the reply. How can I sent a "refresh command" to another
frame from within a frame? [...]

parent.frames["otherFrame'sName"].location.reload()

Be sure that the other frame exists and has a `location' property that
refers to an object that has a reload() method to be called, using feature
tests.

<http://www.pointedears.de/scripts/test/whatami>, § 2.

Note that nothing but the form's target window will be refreshed if
client-side scripting is not available; in case the frame to be
refreshed *is* the target window, use

<form action="..." target="otherFrame'sName">
</form>

where there is no script needed at all.

PointedEars

NoBullMan

Thanks a lot for the reply. That helps.
I hope you can answer my original question:
I have a home page with a bunch of links. Whan I click on a link, I want
to go to a page that has frames (topFrame (for banner), menuFrame (for
menu), mainFrame (page content), stautsFrame (some staus info)). I want
the page, whose link I clicked, to be displayed in the mainFrame of the
window and I am not sure how to spcify the <a href= ...> for thos links.

Thanks.