regarding JDk 141 and JDK 122 for linux 64 bit Platform

Jaggu

Hi All.
I am porting my application from 32 bit linux to 64 bit linux. For
my application i am using JDK 122 and JDK 144. Do these versions have
downloads available for 64 bit linux. If yes, Please let me know from
where i can get these downloads,
Thanks in advance.
Ranjan

Tom Hawtin

Jaggu said:
I am porting my application from 32 bit linux to 64 bit linux. For
my application i am using JDK 122 and JDK 144. Do these versions have
downloads available for 64 bit linux. If yes, Please let me know from
where i can get these downloads,

JDK 122 and JDK 144? Do you mean JDK 1.2.2 and 1.4.2 (there was no 1.4.4)?

Sun provides a 64-bit Linux version of 1.4.2 - for Itanium.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

1.4 is really old. Why not try new 1.6, which is available for AMD64 Linux.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/

Tom Hawtin

Lew

Tom said:
JDK 122 and JDK 144? Do you mean JDK 1.2.2 and 1.4.2 (there was no 1.4.4)?

Sun provides a 64-bit Linux version of 1.4.2 - for Itanium.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

1.4 is really old. Why not try new 1.6, which is available for AMD64 Linux.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/

Just to reassure the OP, Java 6 should run your code just fine. If you are
recompiling source you can set the source level on the rebuild to match your
code if you are using identifiers like "assert" or "enum" that have become
keywords, or to suppress warnings related to generics features.

I am running AMD64 Fedora 5 Linux. I found out that you need to use the 32-bit
versions of Java to support applets and webstart, although that might have
changed since I last checked. Unfortunately for me, even with the 32-bit Javas
the Firefox that came with Fedora 64 doesn't love applets, and I haven't yet
bothered to kick it out for a custom install.

- Lew

Nigel Wade

Jaggu said:
Hi All.
I am porting my application from 32 bit linux to 64 bit linux. For
my application i am using JDK 122 and JDK 144. Do these versions have
downloads available for 64 bit linux. If yes, Please let me know from
where i can get these downloads,
Thanks in advance.
Ranjan

What exactly are you trying to port?

Java shouldn't distinguish between platforms, so your "32bit" Java application
should run perfectly happily in a 64bit JVM, as would a "64bit" Java
application in a 32bit JVM. I do nearly all my development work on a 32bit
desktop, the jars work perfectly fine on both 32bit and 64bit systems. How
would you publish applets/WebStart if you needed different jars for 32bit and
64bit clients?

Also, many 64bit Linux distros. will happily run 32bit applications (even for
the Itanium, albeit rather slowly). So you can most likely run a 32bit Java SDK
on your 64bit Linux (you may need to install 32bit support packages/libraries,
that will depend on the Linux distro.).