[RELEASED] Python 3.1.3

Benjamin Peterson

On behalf of the Python development team, I'm happy as a lark to announce the
third bugfix release for the Python 3.1 series, Python 3.1.3.

This bug fix release features numerous bug fixes and documentation improvements
over 3.1.2.

The Python 3.1 version series focuses on the stabilization and optimization of
the features and changes that Python 3.0 introduced. For example, the new I/O
system has been rewritten in C for speed. File system APIs that use unicode
strings now handle paths with undecodable bytes in them. Other features include
an ordered dictionary implementation, a condensed syntax for nested with
statements, and support for ttk Tile in Tkinter. For a more extensive list of
changes in 3.1, see http://doc.python.org/3.1/whatsnew/3.1.html or Misc/NEWS in
the Python distribution.

This is a production release. To download Python 3.1.3 visit:

http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.1.3/

A list of changes in 3.1.3 can be found here:

http://svn.python.org/projects/python/tags/r313/Misc/NEWS

The 3.1 documentation can be found at:

http://docs.python.org/3.1

Bugs can always be reported to:

http://bugs.python.org

Enjoy!

Gnarlodious

Don't know why, but in Terminal the uparrow now gives me:

^[[A

which means I no longer have history scrolling.

-- Gnarlie

Stefan Behnel

Gnarlodious, 28.11.2010 16:35:
Don't know why, but in Terminal the uparrow now gives me:

^[[A

which means I no longer have history scrolling.

You seem to be mailing from a Mac, is that the system you're having this
problem with? Did you build Python yourself or use a provided binary? (and,
if the latter, from where?)

Stefan

Roy Smith

Gnarlodious said:
Ah yes, sorry.
This is Mac OSX 10.6.5, I did it build from the file at
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.1.3/Python-3.1.3.tgz

-- Gnarlie

I'm seeing the same behavior on a build I did of

Python 3.2a4+ (py3k:86538, Nov 19 2010, 20:52:31)

last week, also on 10.6.5. From the configure output, it looks like it
found readline:

py3k$ grep -i readline config.status
D["HAVE_LIBREADLINE"]=" 1"

but it's not acting like it. The Python 2.6.1 which came with the
system works properly.

Gnarlodious

Well I don't know what a readline is, but I upgraded from 3.1.1 and it
was working fine.

I might also add that the downarrow is also broken: ^[[B

-- Gnarlie

Ned Deily

I'm seeing the same behavior on a build I did of

Python 3.2a4+ (py3k:86538, Nov 19 2010, 20:52:31)

last week, also on 10.6.5. From the configure output, it looks like it
found readline:

py3k$ grep -i readline config.status
D["HAVE_LIBREADLINE"]=" 1"

but it's not acting like it. The Python 2.6.1 which came with the
system works properly.

As noted, Python 3.2 on OS X should link to the OS X copy of the BSD
editline (libedit). You may have to adjust your PYTHONSTARTUP script to
use the different commands. Here's a snippet from mine:

try:
import readline
except ImportError:
print("Module readline not available.")
else:
import rlcompleter
if 'libedit' in readline.__doc__:
readline.parse_and_bind("bind ^I rl_complete")
else:
readline.parse_and_bind("tab: complete")

http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/readline.html
Also, see: man 5 editrc

BTW, python.org 3.2a4 installers for OS X are now available so you might
not need to build your own:

http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.2/

Roy Smith

Gnarlodious said:
Well I don't know what a readline is, but I upgraded from 3.1.1 and it
was working fine.

I might also add that the downarrow is also broken: ^[[B

-- Gnarlie

Readline is the (very cool) library which handles all the interactive
line editing, including the up and down arrows.