removing BOM prepended by codecs?

J. Bagg

My editor is JEdit. I use it on a Win 7 machine but have everything set
up for *nix files as that is the machine I'm normally working on.

The files are mailed to me as updates. The library where the indexers
work do use MS computers but this is restricted to EndNote with an
exporter into the old Bib-Refer format which we use. I then run them
through a Python program to check the unicode for new characters that
also creates an ascii transliteration of the main fields and checks for
errors.

The problem is occuring at the search stage. This stage creates a script
with directives to search particular years and then puts the results
into a file in /tmp. The process is left over from an old CGI version
but is efficient and so has been kept. This has been done with a very
old C program that a collegue wrote back in the 90s with more recent
updates. I'm in the process of updating this to Python as it is getting
too difficult to maintain.